Subtask level security

Rahul Krishna September 25, 2019

I know there is topic already on this, but is there a way to achieve this, we need to hide the information in one of the subtasks under a issue to general users and make it visible only for select personnel. Since subtasks inherit issue security from parent, we can either show all the subtasks or none at all. 

is there any workaround for this other than linking another issue(already tried that) or a third party app?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2019

Yes, and no.

Yes, because you can set security levels on sub-tasks via the REST API (you can't do this in the UI), rather than letting them inherit their security from their parent issue.

But, no, because it is not supported, gets changed unexpectedly (it gets blanked out on some changes of either child or parent) and is not consistently reported either.  If, for example, you log 4 hours work on a "hacked" subtask, it rolls up to the parent issue for people who can see the subtask, but not those who can not.  But if anyone reports on Σtime, if they can see the parent, it includes the sub-task that they can't see.

So, I tend to describe the REST trick as a "hack" or "bodge" rather than a "workaround" - it's got too many flaws to be useful.

I think you would be better off creating separate issues to be secured, rather than sub-tasks.

Rahul Krishna September 26, 2019

Thanks Nic,

I created another issue called B and applied issue security and linked it to A(with subtasks). It works but from our perspective this A and B are templates and we clone these templates(used for onboarding different resources), when cloning there is an option to check clone sub-tasks and clone-links, when i check them both its only cloning A issue with subtasks but its not cloning issue B rather the new cloned issue is pointing just to old link B.

So we decided to clone A(with subtasks) and Clone B and link them together after cloning. You can see after a while its going to be confusing for the user.

I also remove clone prefixes and cloners issue link. just FYI

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2019

Yes, when you clone B, you won't get A's subtasks cloned, because they're not part of B.

Rahul Krishna September 26, 2019

thats not what i meant, two issues forget about the subtasks

A and B, link them together and if you clone A and choose option clone links

The result should have new clone of A link to new clone of B right, but thats not happening

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2019

Ahh, ok, I misunderstood, sorry.

I think the problem is that Jira has no way of knowing that your clones of A and B should be linked, because each clone action is separate and done to a different issue.

I think you can do this by writing a listener that catches that the clone of B has been made, looks back at B, works out if B has a link to A, then works out if A has been cloned, and if it has, links the clone of B to the clone of A.

Rahul Krishna September 27, 2019

Thanks Nic, will try that.

Rahul Krishna January 27, 2020

I know this post is closed but we are going with "Secure Fields For jira" and removing the option to link other tickets

Luc Landry Ntamen June 1, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- whit API REST how to have a security level on parent issue and an other security level on child issues ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2023

I'm glad to say that bug has been fixed, and you can no longer set the security level on sub-tasks with the REST API.

Suggest an answer