Subtask creation: how to set child status based on parent status

Buck January 13, 2021

If a subtask is created while the parent is in development I want the subtask status to be set to a status that will show up on the board.  Currently when a subtask is created while the parent is in progress it sets the status to the first status in the workflow (in this case Backlog) which is not visible on the board.

So if parent is in Ready for work or In Progress, I want the subtask created with a status of Ready for work.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Buck ,

any issue will always be created with the first status, it is not possible to change this behavior. But you can create automation rule and transition the subtask to the status you need automatically right after it is created, if conditions are met.

Buck January 13, 2021

Thank you for the response.  
Any chance you could elaborate on how I would create automation to do this?

Here is what I have that is not working

2021-01-13_16-45-26.jpg

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Buck ,

please try something like this:

automation.png

I've used different status names, because I don't have "Ready for work" status in my instance, but the concept will be the same.

Buck January 14, 2021

Worked perfectly. 

Thank you very much.

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
0 votes
Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Buck 

Adding to the previous answer, also check if the workflow followed by the subtask is the same as that of the parent, this should also help in maintaining a consistency on the flow.!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events