SubTasks Stopped Showing Up on Board

John Plante January 6, 2022

A few days ago, for no reason we could discern, subtasks stopped showing up on our main project board. Previously, the parent issue would span all of our columns and subtasks would show up underneath. We've searched the community and non of the suggested fixes we've seen seem to be applicable.

Did something change with how Jira displays subtasks or is there something else going on?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

@John Plante 

Have you check to make sure that the board filter is not removing, filter them out?  Each board has a filter that specifies what issues will be show.  You can learn more here https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-filters/

It filters out a couple of Epics and includes items with no Epic Specified. It blocks members of certain groups but it's a group our team does not belong to. If I look at the query output directly, the subtasks that are missing appear there.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

Do the subtasks use a different workflow?

I don't think so - how would I be able to tell?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2022

If you are a project administrator you can look at the workflow scheme.  You can also look at the work flow on the sub task and see which one it is using.  You can the look at an issue that is visible  and see if they are the same.  If they are different check the board and make sure all the statuses are mapped.

John Plante January 7, 2022

Hi Brant - 
I'm not a project admin, but site admin. Would I still be able to see the workflow for the subtask specifically? Is there something special I need to do?

Okay - it looks like I am able to see the workflows for each issue type and they are the same. Not sure where to look next.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

You should be able to see it when viewing the issue.  Really is all I am wondering is if there are statuses that are not mapped on the board.  You could just check the board and see is they are not mapped.

This is weird, but I noticed Swimlanes were not expandable. We were set to Stories.

There was a weird old piece in the JQL that said, ("Epic Link" != A-1234 and "Epic Link" != A-2345 OR "Epic Link" Is Empty) that I'm pretty sure was part of a workaround in the past that once I removed it, the tickets were grouped correctly once again. We did add a new field recently, but it wasn't related to Epics to my knowledge. The strange part is, the subtasks appeared in the original query if you ran it outside the board.

Thanks for you help with this. Your suggestion with the queries was most helpful

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Glad you got it fixed.  Can you accept the answer so others can find it if they are having trouble.

Suggest an answer