Sub-tasks with different stages to drive story

Zack Herman September 22, 2015

We have stories that each have sub tasks of Development & QA.

Two questions:

1) Can we set the stages for the sub tasks differently then the actual story? For instance subtasks: In Progress & Done. For story: in development, ready for testing, in testing, staging, done.  

2) Can we have it so that the sub tasks drive the story's workflow? Meaning if the dev task is moved to done, the story gets moved to ready for qa automatically.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2015

1) yes, every subtask has its own independent status. Even workflow and available set of status values may be different for subtasks.

2)Yes, you can do this workflow post functions. 

If you are using JIRA Agile you can only assign issues to sprint, not subtasks. That means all subtasks will be assigned to the same sprint. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2015

1) Yes, apply a different workflow.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-workflow-schemes-302809197.html

2) Not quite automatically on Cloud.  If you move sub-tasks to done in Agile, then they will progress the story to done as well when the last one is complete.  But there's no other automation on Cloud yet (On Server, we write scripts and use addons)

Adam Rosszay October 16, 2015

This is not true. I just set this up and it doesn't work like I want it to work. For example, Stories without Sub-Tasks can be dragged and dropped to any column on the board, no problemo. Awesome! However, as soon as I add a sub-task to the Story BAM! I'm immediately prevented from dragging-and-dropping the Story into columns...but I am allowed to drag-and-drop the Sub-Task (facepalm). Why is this happening?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2015

You've got conditions on your workflow blocking the transitions.

Suggest an answer