Sub tasks show up in issues without epics

Admin May 27, 2015

I create a story that I own and I add to a specific Epic. Now if I create a sub-task and assign to someone else, the active sprint view shows these sub tasks under "Issues without epics". Is this expected behavior?

1 answer

1 vote
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2015

Hi Alen,

That is the expected behaviour indeed.

Epics are associated to "regular" tasks and these are associated to sub-tasks, so there's no direct link between Epics and sub-tasks.

Adam Picard October 21, 2016

Hey Marcus -

Could you explain a little further, if possible? I am having the same issue and would like sub-tasks to that are linked to an epic to not be placed in the "issues without epics"

Thanks. 

Like dfranklin likes this
dfranklin January 16, 2020

Adam - exactly! If an Epic contains Stories and the Stories contain Tasks, I'd like those Tasks to be listed in my Kanban Board as "with" the Epic, not in a "issues without epics". I've not yet found that this is possible. :-(

Like mark angler likes this
mark angler June 3, 2020

@dfranklin did you ever find a resolution to this? pretty annoying... 

Shane Hays October 13, 2020

Still no answer?  There are so many questions like this.  Some canned answer and then no follow up.  This is not "expected behavior".  While it is expected that I can't assign a sub task to a different epic than the parent task/story, it is not expected that a sub task of Story ABC, where Story ABC is part of Epic 123, is listed at the bottom of the board in the "issues without epics" section.  The sub tasks should be listed in the same epic section as the story/task.

stefanoc November 11, 2020

@Marcus Silveira if this is supposed to be the "expected behavior", could you please explain (or link to an explaination) of what is the added value of this "expected behavior" ? Here looks like I'm not the only one confused by this thing: if I divide the kanban board in swimlanes, I do it to group all the tasks that need to be worked for each specific epic. This includes subtasks. Why are they supposed to stay in a separated common pool?

Like james likes this

Suggest an answer