Sub-tasks are not showing up under Stories on Scrum Board

Milan Kovacs February 19, 2020

Hi folks,

Our development is currently using 3 different Scrum boards (team 1, team 2 and a global one for both teams).

Swimlanes for all 3 boards were set to show 'Stories' which resulted in a very transparent view of all Stories with their sub-tasks grouped under them. Those were the happy days.

Out of a sudden, we noticed that Sub-tasks disappeared from under the Stories from team 1's and team 2's boards, however, the board for all teams is still working perfectly. Note that we haven't modified anything by way of Filters or Swimlane config, or anything really.

Was there a JIRA update yesterday or something that could've resulted in this?

Any way to fix it?

Thanks a million.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Milan Kovacs February 21, 2020

Strange as it may sound but selecting all Sub-tasks and mass changing their Reporter solved the issue for me.

0 votes
Nicole Downes February 10, 2021

We have the same problem under the following conditions:

1. We use Advanced Roadmaps for Jira
  2. We use data center and are experiencing problems with our index clustering.   
  3. The problem comes and goes.

Here is how I fix it when it occurs.  I run a query for each team excluding sub-tasks.

Step 1.  Write a jql query for the first team - Example:  (change as required)

project = xx and issuetype != sub-task and sprint in OpenSprints() and team = YY 

Step 2.  Do a bulk update and Change Team to the same team (YY) used in the filter

Step 3.  Repeat steps 1 & 2 for each team you have.

Step 4.  Go to each of your boards and see all the sub-task are now showing under the issue (when using Story swimlanes)

Dimitris Fakos July 19, 2021

Thanks Nicole. That worked for me. But I do not get why is that happening :)

0 votes

Final conclusion:

The reason why the global board works is that there is no additional filter applied. Once I add 'teams = team1' to the query (that feeds the team 1 and team 2 boards), JIRA cannot match teams with their Stories hence their related sub-tasks.

M Vijay Kumar March 8, 2020

I am having the same Issue, How did you solve the problem? Did you update teams value to the Sub-task or any alternate solution.

Any information provided would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Vijay

Milan Kovacs March 9, 2020

Bulk change the reporter of all the 'missing' sub-tasks to yourself and they'll show up. No idea why but it works. :)

Katherine Montrose July 21, 2020

This didn't work for me.  Any additional ideas

M Vijay Kumar July 21, 2020

we have updated Team at sub-task level too as we have scrum boards based on the each team. 

We did use script runner to update board query so that sub-tasks under stories are visible on the board.

0 votes

Basically trying to achieve what the poster of this question explained
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Group-story-with-sub-tasks-in-swimlanes/qaq-p/585521

Suggest an answer