Sub-tasks all closed out but parent story gets stuck in open status

Kevin (Fake) February 20, 2014

Let me preface this question by saying that I've read every Atlassian thread under the sun and I just CANNOT figure this out. Please help if you can!!

I created a custom workflow for a project. In a nutshell: Open -> In Progress -> QA -> Done. Most issue types move along this path perfectly, but as soon as sub-tasks come into the picture, I run into a problem: the parent issue gets stuck in "Open" status even after all child sub-tasks are "Done." More specifically, when all child sub-tasks are "Done" there is a button that appears above the completed child sub-tasks (aligned with parent story) that says "Move To Done" (which seems to indicate that I can manually move the parent story to "Done" now that all of its child sub-tasks are done). However when I click that button, I get this message:

"All sub-tasks for parent issue XXX are now Done. However, the parent issue cannot be moved into the Done column as there are no matching transitions."

Can anyone tell me how to fix this button? Again, the sub-tasks are moving along my workflow path perfectly - it's the parent issues of those sub-tasks that are getting stuck. I think it has something to do with conditions/variables/post fuctions? Just want to get this button working, I'm 100% fine closing parent stories manually once all child sub-tasks are done.

Help, help, 1000 times help :/

4 answers

1 vote
Luke Latimer May 13, 2018

Might be obvious BUT... 

For us, stories would usually be sitting in backlog as people progressed the status of subtasks associated with that story.

If your story is still in the backlog once all subtasks are completed, make sure you have a transition defined that allows Backlog -> Done (Project Settings -> Workflow -> Diagram -> Add Transition)

Alexey Leshchenko July 31, 2019

Thank you, its help 

1 vote
Björn Holmgren April 26, 2018

I have the same problem, and none of the above seems to help. Our workflow can transition from TO DO -> DONE. But my story are stuck in TO DO with all subtasks done. Any ideas?

0 votes
Winston Lee April 26, 2016

I had the same problem and found out the answer the hard way. Make sure the Story itself has an assigned user before you can close it.

0 votes
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2014
Excuse me for the brevity, I'm posting from my phone. I believe you need to make sure your custom workflow is being applied to the stories as well. Then make sure that there is a transition from open to done (or closed)
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2014
Perhaps you can post a picture of your text workflow.

Below is a screenshot of my text workflow. I have not figured out how to apply this workflow to different issue types as you say (stories vs. subtasks etc). So that could very well be the problem.

Also I should have mentioned that I have exhaustively tried to apply the right condition and/or post-action here. There is an available condition that states "All sub-tasks must have one of the following statusres to allow parent issue transitions" and an available post-action that states "Post-action transition ___ will be triggered on the issue's parent issue." It seems like one (or both) of these is designed to facilitate what I need but I can't figure out where to apply them or how to apply them correctly.

Ok, I made SOME progress this morning. I confirmed that my custom workflow is being applied to all of my issue types (including stories), and I tried creating a direct transition from "Open" to "Closed" (see below, highighted). Am I on the right track? Again, I just want to be able to close out parent stories manually (via the "Move To Done" button) once all the child subtasks are closed.

Deleted user July 23, 2015

I have the same issue. Any update on this?

Ming Lee January 24, 2016

Hi, I am having the same problem. I was wondering whether anyone found anything on this?  Thanks!

coco October 31, 2016

i have exactly the same issue, and haven't found a solution so far sad

Peter van den Ochtend February 15, 2017

The solution is in the picture above. I just had the same when I focussed on moving single stories or sub tasks. The parent story from the sub tasks will move from Open --> Closed.

The picture shows that the transition has been added. If there are no specific requirements set (and you saved/publish the workflow off course !! (I forgot it the last time)..) it should work like a charm !

Suggest an answer