Sub-tasks - Is it possible to navigate to the parent

Johnny Andersen September 24, 2019

In the old view, you would be able to navigate to a parent via the breadcrumbs.

However, the new view seems to collapse it down to just show the ID of the current ticket (subtask), with no options to see that there is a parent, and no way to navigate to it.

My question: Am I missing something? Can I actually navigate from a sub-task to a parent, or even just see the name/id of the parent, when i'm viewing the ticket?

4 answers

4 votes
Michael_Ruminer September 24, 2019

Noticed this starting as of today. There seems to be no breadcrumb. navigation or any means to recognize what the parent issue to the sub-task is in the new view.  It hurts. :-)

Mayra Rodriguez September 24, 2019

We created a ticket asking for clarifications on this , and I just turned off the new view in my JIRA here https://avdigital.atlassian.net/secure/ViewPersonalSettings.jspa (while this is clarified/resolved). 

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Stephanie Mikrut September 24, 2019

My team noticed the change today as well - it's painful!  We use a lot of sub-tasks with our New Features and Improvements and being able to navigate back to the Parent from a sub-task is really important from a usability perspective.  We've submitted "feedback", hoping the Atlassian team will address/fix it soon.    Will try changing the view/setting as suggested by @Mayra Rodriguez as well (thanks for submitting/sharing!).

Betsy Edson September 24, 2019

Same situation here, unfortunately.  I've submitted feedback and am keeping my fingers crossed that our pain is heard and resolved quickly.  Thank for submitting the issue!

2 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2019

Hi @Johnny Andersen ,

Welcome to the Community!

From what it looks like the parent/child breadcrumbs are only being display for epic links.  I didn't see anything reported for Issues/sub-tasks.  Might be worth calling out in the "Give Feedback" link at the top of the issue view.

-Jimmy

1 vote
Johnny Andersen January 7, 2020

It seems that this have been added. At least for my version, the parent issue link will now lazy link, and be available in the top left as part of the breadcrumbs.

Michael_Ruminer January 7, 2020

Yes this is no longer the case in the current version.

0 votes
Ernesto Cruz April 13, 2022

hello, Any news about this? i really need to be able to navigate from a child issue to the parent.

Suggest an answer