Sub task under subtask

Deleted user September 24, 2013

Hi all,

I am trying to set-up a subtask under a sub-task. I have noticed that JIRA does not support this mechanism. I my search for a solution di I came accross several websites with the same problem, e.g.:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-4446

Is there anybody who nows a workaround to bypass this limitation?

Cheers,

Hendri

4 answers

1 vote
Deleted user October 1, 2013

Hmm, linking these tasks might be the only workable solution... THis is quite a strong limitation of JIRA...

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2013

Sub tasks cannot contain further layers. That's it.

You can do things with links, and if you've got the Agile plugin, there's stuff you can do with Epics (although it's aimed at being Agile, so it's still not another layer of sub-tasking).

There is a plugin which enables you to do some very clever stuff though. Again, it's not *quite* more layers of tasks, but it works in such a way that it feels like you get them. See https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.almworks.jira.structure

0 votes
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2013

"Welcome" to Atlassian Jira with "Major" features pending since September 2004 :(

Reinaldo Moreira da Silva January 16, 2019

2019 and still missing :)

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2019

2019 and most don't need or want it.  Atlassian dropped it from the to-do list years ago, due to lack of interest!

Reinaldo Moreira da Silva January 16, 2019

Ok :)

mike February 20, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-4446

1259 votes

317 Comments

Atlassian: "No, but here's another product (to purchase of course) that almost does what you want"

"No interest"

Riiiiiiight

Like # people like this
Antoine Legault April 12, 2020

Feels like Apple : "We will decide what you want, and freedom is not it"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2020

Yup, 1259 votes is no interest, compared with a lot of other more useful stuff.

Plus, the complexity of nested sub-tasks is hideous, both on the back end, and for your users.

0 votes
Raffaele Verre September 24, 2013

Hi Hendri

I think you can simulate this by adding the "is child task of" link to the relative parent task

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events