Sub-task: Why am I forced to put a "Component" and "Affects Version"

chanjohnathan January 22, 2014

I edited the custom fields to remove a lot of information when doing a sub-task along with the "Component" and "Affects Version". When I come to post a sub-task, the fields of "Component" and "Affects Version" come back as mandatory fields.

What's going on here? I want them disabled and I see no reason to have to respecify a "Component" and "Affects Version" on a sub-task. Hopefully this is a configuration bug and not a usability issue.

http://screencast.com/t/JtU504xns

9 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

Hi Jonathan,

You'd want to double check the field configuration for your sub tasks, it's probably flagged as required in there.

1 vote
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

How did you remove them?

Now the theory:
A field have several configurations that may affect whenther it shows up or not.

1. Screen
  2. Field Configuration
  3. Field Context

Depending on the configuration you have all three may be applicable to all issue types or you have a specific Screens, Field Context for each issue type.

How to find out:

You have to trace which field configuration is used for the particular Issue Type (sub-task) thatyou are trying to create. The steps below are for JIRA 6.1.

1. Go to administration page for your project
  2. Click on fields menu on the left
  3. you will see the field configuration scheme and you will see whate field configuration is used for each type.
  4. Click on the field configuration for your type.
  5. You should see "Component/s" field in the list.
  6. Edit the Field configuration and 'Hide' the component or any other field.

This will remove the field from all screens.

If you want to remove it from specific screen only let me know i will give you the steps for this as well.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2014

Because you've configured it to force the version and component.

Check the field configuration for the project

0 votes
chanjohnathan February 4, 2014

I've played with the screen schemes, couldn't figure it out. I'll come back with a visual example, that way we can know if we're talking about the same thing.

Thanks for your help!

0 votes
chanjohnathan January 29, 2014

Still can't figure out how to have a custom field view just for the sub-tasks window. Does anyone know is this is documented somewhere?

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2014

What do you mean by "sub-tasks window"?

You can customise the issue view, create and edit screens with screen-schemes, as already described above. Separate screen schemes, dependent on the issue type - works the same for top level and child issue types

0 votes
chanjohnathan January 26, 2014

I just realized that when I edited the "Sub-Task" fields, it edited them for "Create Issue" button as well. How do I only edit the issues for "Sub-Tasks"?

Is it this? https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Sub-tasks#ConfiguringSub-tasks-Configuringsub-taskfieldsdisplayedonparentissues

edit: Ok so it's not that. Still trying to figure out how to only have certain fields when posting a sub-task vs a issue.

0 votes
chanjohnathan January 26, 2014

Alright, thanks!

0 votes

Awesome, it's now as lean as I need it to be. Thanks a lot.

Instead of starting another thread, does anyone know if I can disable parts of these options to reduce the size of the cog on my sub-tasks?

http://screencast.com/t/0qatKfATXzh

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2014

Most of thse are driven by permissions which can be assigned to users/groups. but if a user have all permissions you will see all these options.

0 votes

Thanks for all the quick replies. I'll check out your suggestions and report back.

Suggest an answer