Sub-Tasks confusion!?!? Inheriting values from Parent?

Nathan May 2, 2013

I didn't realize that sub-tasks are full blown issues and I'm trying to simplify things. I want my sub-tasks to have their own summary, description, and status, but I do NOT want them to have their own fixVersion.

Can someone point me to the right documentation page that shows me how to do this? (Essentially, I want sub-tasks to automatically inherit the parent fixVersion so that I can use JQL to query for sub-tasks with a particular version AND I can update the parent issue's fixVersion field and not have to worry about updating the sub-task's fixVersion field.)

I found this and it says it is resolved, but I can't figure this sub-task thing out.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2013

Hi Nathan,

You can use the script runner plugin to copy the fields from parent to sub-task in a post-function upon subtask isse creation.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

0 votes
Nathan May 2, 2013

Oh, it looks like the issue I linked above is linked to this one, which says Atlassian isn't going to build the feature.

So, does anyone know how to write JQL to at least inspect the fixVersion of the parent?

Suggest an answer