• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Sub-Tasks are not reflected in Jira board

Hi,

I need to display sub-task in my jira board, but when i went to some of the articles it clearly said that its not possible. But , i want to check with you if there is alternative to display sub-tasks alone on jira board.

1 answer

0 votes
Leonard Chew Community Leader Feb 07, 2020

The answer would be: It depends what you want to do.

It is possible to have a board with subtasks only. However, you will not be able to rank the subtasks freely (only within the parent issue).

The real question is: What do you really need? - Is a subtask-only board really what you are looking for, or are there better alternatives to your need? 

So here is a screenshot of a "subtask-only" kanban backlog board:

subtask-board.png

Please let me know how to list only the sub-tasks in the scrum board

Create a Quick Filter "Subtasks":

subtask-filter.png

Go to your board and click the filter. That's how it looks like with only Sub-Tasks. 
The Sub-Tasks are visible in the Sprint, but not in the Backlog View. 

My appologies for not adding the screenshots. PFB , it is working for story,but for sub-tasks alone it is not displaying on board. So, please guide me what i need to do here

board filter.pngboard not displaying picture.pngJQl query for dispaying subtasks.png

Yeah, you got it right.
As I said, you will not see the Sub-Tasks in the Backlog View, only in the "Active sprints" view:

scrum-backlog.png

The Idea behind this behaviour:

In scrum you plan your backlog in stories. When the sprint starts, you might want to split your stories into chunks (sub-tasks). The sprint- and backlog-planning is always done on story level however. If your story is too big to plan as a whole, you'll need to do some story slicing.

So, it seems you want to use a scrum board, but don't want to work according to scrum.

You can switch to a kanban board as an alternative, or reconsider your need to plan sub-tasks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you