Sub-Tasks are not reflected in Jira board

Yamini February 6, 2020

Hi,

I need to display sub-task in my jira board, but when i went to some of the articles it clearly said that its not possible. But , i want to check with you if there is alternative to display sub-tasks alone on jira board.

1 answer

0 votes
Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2020

The answer would be: It depends what you want to do.

It is possible to have a board with subtasks only. However, you will not be able to rank the subtasks freely (only within the parent issue).

The real question is: What do you really need? - Is a subtask-only board really what you are looking for, or are there better alternatives to your need? 

So here is a screenshot of a "subtask-only" kanban backlog board:

subtask-board.png

Yamini February 7, 2020

Please let me know how to list only the sub-tasks in the scrum board

Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2020

Create a Quick Filter "Subtasks":

subtask-filter.png

Go to your board and click the filter. That's how it looks like with only Sub-Tasks. 
The Sub-Tasks are visible in the Sprint, but not in the Backlog View. 

Yamini February 7, 2020

My appologies for not adding the screenshots. PFB , it is working for story,but for sub-tasks alone it is not displaying on board. So, please guide me what i need to do here

board filter.pngboard not displaying picture.pngJQl query for dispaying subtasks.png

Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2020

Yeah, you got it right.
As I said, you will not see the Sub-Tasks in the Backlog View, only in the "Active sprints" view:

scrum-backlog.png

The Idea behind this behaviour:

In scrum you plan your backlog in stories. When the sprint starts, you might want to split your stories into chunks (sub-tasks). The sprint- and backlog-planning is always done on story level however. If your story is too big to plan as a whole, you'll need to do some story slicing.

So, it seems you want to use a scrum board, but don't want to work according to scrum.

You can switch to a kanban board as an alternative, or reconsider your need to plan sub-tasks.

Suggest an answer