Sub-Task Quick-add button missing on some boards

Sebastian Lange January 2, 2018

Hi!

We're using JIRA Cloud and we really like the new UI. On a Kanban board of one of our projects there're the Quick-add buttons (as explained in the documentation) for attachments, subtasks, and link issues:

jira_TL.JPG

But in another project the one button for creating subtasks is missing:

jira_BLU.JPG

The project configurations are not equal but quite similar. We looked at board configurations, issue type schemes, etc. but we couldn't find a setting for this.

Any idea how to get the sub-task button back?

best regards,
Sebastian

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Ok , I found the problem! :)

If you have a custom field that is set as Required the button disappears. In my case we have a mandatory "platform" field where you have to set the correct target platform for a subtask.

0 votes
Matus Pavlovic June 5, 2018

Hi There,

It is not just for custom required fields...

My Create subtask button disappeared when I set the "Due date" to mandatory...

As for the answer to Anant:

I resolved this configuration by creating a separate field configuration, where Sub-Task were not included and due date was not configured as mandatory.

I also create separate screen just for sub-task and that screed is not used for field configuration.

I am not sure, if everything I did is correct, but at least it is working now:

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Like this you can basically define required fields based on issue type - because not all issues have all the field that you would like to set to required for other issues...

Although I fixed ti this way, I found it to be rather complicated to set-up, because whether the icon appears is based on some setting that apparently has very little connection to it.

0 votes
Anant Singh March 2, 2018

Hello,

Removing the "Required" setting on fields worked for us to get the quick add button back on the Modal.  While I understand the logic behind hiding the functionality since it is an in-line creation function with no ability to edit those required fields, this means we cannot set required fields in our projects right now.

Do we have an option that would allow us the use of that quick add sub-task button in conjunction with required fields?  Are there any configuration changes we can make to allow this?  If there is no way to do this through configuration changes, this feels like an oversight in the planning of the new UI.  Please help!!!

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2018

Hi Sebastian,

do you have an issue type with the type "Sub-Task" defined in your projects where the function is missing?

I've just tried it in my test project. The button disappears, if there's no issue type with the type "Sub-Task" defined for the project. 

Hi Thomas,

yes, the Sub-task issue type is defined for the project (see my screenshot in my answer to Carlos above)

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2018

Hi Sebastian,

Do you have any sub-task listed in the issue types section of project BLU? You can check this in project settings-> Issue type:

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 11.57.08 AM.png

Hi Carlos,

yes, the issue type is there:

jira_blu-issuetypes.jpg

Suggest an answer