Stumped by the MS SQL 2008 Schema on Jira 5.1.6 install.

Robert Finley November 8, 2012

I've added a blank schema called 'JiraSchema' to the Security portion of the jiraDB database I created.

Tried giving it ownership to the jiraAdmin ID.

The configurator dies with a large number of Java trace messages because...

(SQL query:) SELECT ID, ENTITY_NAME, ENTITY_ID, PROPERTY_KEY, propertytype FROM jiraDB.JiraSchema <...>

Invalid object name 'jiraDB.JiraSchema'

I tried assigning ownership and permissions to the schema. Disappears next time I open properties.

Could someone walk me through the schema part of a MS SQL 2008 setup and contribute it to the MS SQL-specific installation instructions?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Finley November 8, 2012

This fix is best described as stripping away all of the security features of MS SQL 2008 to get the installer to work. I'm using a laptop running win7-32bit and SQL server 2008 developer.

You've been warned. Please suggest any errors and I will revise this message.

With [Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio] and [object explorer],

[Databases]: add your Jira database. Mine is owned by "SA" and it still works.

[Security] & [Logins]: Create a "JiraAdmin" UserID

[Security], properties of the Username, [User Mapping], click the box to add "JiraAdmin" to the "Jira" Database you just created. I'm using [dbo] as the default schema. But, database role membership below just has [public] clicked.

Go back up to [Databases] and open up your "JiraDatabase". The schema mentioned in the installer is buried under [Security] and [Schemas]

Create your "jiraSchema"

Menu-Click [Properties] on this item and click [Permissions] on the left menu.

Under "Users or roles:", I used the [Search] Button to add jiraAdmin to the list, type "User".

At the bottom of the dialog box, "Explicit" tab. I clicked on the "Grant" boxes for "jiraAdmin" for all of the permissions. I figure it gives me fewer problems when I add plugins. At least that's the theory.

Schemas are really powerful.

If this is a dangerous or bad solution, please add a comment.

And, If your SQL server is on the same host as Jira, I suspect you will have fewer reboot problems if you change the Jira Service launch from [Automatic] to [Automatic-Delayed], using Properties in [Control Panel] [Services]

Suggest an answer