Struggling while starting the application(Jira 3.13.3, JDK 1.8) on Tomcat 8

The same application (Jira 3.13.3 , JDK 1.8) up and running successfully on Tomcat 7.

But not working in Tomcat 8. Getting below exceptions.

09-Nov-2017 10:52:30.093 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class com.atlassian.jira.appconsistency.db.DatabaseCompatibilityEnforcer
 java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcConnection.isValid(I)Z
    at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp2.DelegatingConnection.isValid(DelegatingConnection.java:916)

09-Nov-2017 10:52:30.568 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.ConsistencyLauncher
 java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager.quickStart(ComponentManager.java:690)

09-Nov-2017 10:52:30.654 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
09-Nov-2017 10:52:33.667 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener

2 answers

Hi Naveen,

The application will not work with Tomcat 1.8. It is not compatible.

Hi Edwin,

You are confirming that jira 3.13.3 will not be supported in

tomcat 8.

Am i Correct ?

can you please suggest me the solution ?

Do I need to upgrade the JIRA Version ? If yes , how ?

0 votes

Those versions are completely incompatible, it's never going to work properly.

Jira 3 is old, totally unsupported and has known security problems.  You need to upgrade it if you want to use it with a secure Tomcat and Java version and to get it supportable.

I'm quite surprised it worked in Tomcat 7, as the version of Java required to run Tomcat 7 is incompatible with Jira 3, and Tomcat 5 is the last one that could run Jira 3

Your solution is pretty much "upgrade"

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,675 views 18 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you