Struggling while starting the application(Jira 3.13.3, JDK 1.8) on Tomcat 8

naveen sabari November 8, 2017

The same application (Jira 3.13.3 , JDK 1.8) up and running successfully on Tomcat 7.

But not working in Tomcat 8. Getting below exceptions.

09-Nov-2017 10:52:30.093 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class com.atlassian.jira.appconsistency.db.DatabaseCompatibilityEnforcer
 java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcConnection.isValid(I)Z
    at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp2.DelegatingConnection.isValid(DelegatingConnection.java:916)

09-Nov-2017 10:52:30.568 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.ConsistencyLauncher
 java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager.quickStart(ComponentManager.java:690)

09-Nov-2017 10:52:30.654 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
09-Nov-2017 10:52:33.667 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2017

Those versions are completely incompatible, it's never going to work properly.

Jira 3 is old, totally unsupported and has known security problems.  You need to upgrade it if you want to use it with a secure Tomcat and Java version and to get it supportable.

I'm quite surprised it worked in Tomcat 7, as the version of Java required to run Tomcat 7 is incompatible with Jira 3, and Tomcat 5 is the last one that could run Jira 3

Your solution is pretty much "upgrade"

0 votes
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2017

Hi Naveen,

The application will not work with Tomcat 1.8. It is not compatible.

naveen sabari November 8, 2017

Hi Edwin,

You are confirming that jira 3.13.3 will not be supported in

tomcat 8.

Am i Correct ?

can you please suggest me the solution ?

Do I need to upgrade the JIRA Version ? If yes , how ?

Suggest an answer