Structuring A Jira Website Build Project

Jordan McCrary January 19, 2018

I've done 100's of searches on this topic - and maybe I'm just not approaching the query the right way - or maybe what I want isn't doable. 

We've been using Jira for 2-3+ years now and our workflow and project planning process has been [very] slowly evolving, but I'm still not happy..

I understand that we can sort of make use of components & labels to structure our issues to a degree. And we could create epics for pages. 
Hopefully this wordy/vague information makes sense so far.

I sort of envision a project structure that works like: 
Components: Frontend, Backend/PHP, Database, Server/Hosting
Pages: Home Page, About Us, Portfolio, Contact Us
Epics: Implement new complex slider on home page
Stories: Create rotator frame and overlay
Sub-Tasks: Implement frame with XXX requirements, implement overlay with XXX requirements
Tasks: Some misc. task that's too small to be a story & doesn't necessarily fit in a grouping

The part I'm missing is the "Pages" - I've tried using labels as pages, we've tried using Epics - which just becomes a backlog, more or less.
Is there a constructive way to do that? 

The biggest issues we keep hitting/are trying to solve are: 
1. We want to group all tasks related to Frontend > Page to be grouped together. Then, sub-group those items by Frontent > Page > Feature (and same for backend)

2. By grouping this way, I'm hoping we can easily get a view of related tasks without getting a list of every epic/story/task in the project

3. In my mind, this helps create a top-down heirarchy that works similarly to a sitemap, where we can just drilldown only to relevant information without creating 100 filters to search tasks

1 answer

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

Hi Jordan,

When looking at your request, first thing I thought is that you were already using our Structure app for Jira. If not, maybe you'd like to give it a try since the tasks you are referring to seem to be exactly what Structure has been created for.

And in the context of the Structure I wonder why not create a separate issue type for pages? They can be then used to connect between themselves to create a site-map through Jira that can be visualized using Structure. They can also be connected to tasks, that involve specific pages, and these could also be part of a resulting hierarchy. Using parent-child links here allow for differentiating between link types: one type of link for page referred in another page and different type of link for tasks(epics) pertaining to specific pages. Structure allows grouping by links, but you may build the hierarchy from the top-down by expanding on the links as well.

Please, let me know what you think. Again, if you are not using the Structure already, maybe you would like to look at our quick-start guide or inspect the structure in a sand-box environment. And I'd be happy to answer questions, that you may have about Structure app.

Kind regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works support

Jordan McCrary January 23, 2018

Hi Egor, 

You are correct, this is 100% what I am looking for (you guys really nailed the Jira add-on space)

However, we're still using Jira Cloud, so this plugin doesn't work for us for the meantime. 

We're a really small team that handles a lot of projects, so funding is an issue - when Atlassian hosts at $10/mo, it's difficult to even consider a hosted option that's minimum $80-100/mo more expensive.

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

Hi Jordan,

I understand. Structure for Cloud is currently in the works, and though there is no ETA yet, we hope to deliver it somewhere in the second half of 2018.

Regards,
Egor

Suggest an answer