Structure with Multiple Projects

Martim Schnack March 12, 2014

What is the best way to display several projects in one Structure? Create a sync with filter that selects issues from all the projects or to add several syncs, each one with a filter for just one project?

Basically, which option is more appropriate?

1) Sync with Filter "project = A OR project = B OR project = C"

2) Sync with Filter "project = A" and another sync with filter "project = B" and another filter = "project = C"

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2014

Hi Martim,

Structure 2.7

If you're using the latest version of Structure (v 2.7 at the time of writing) then I don't think it makes a huge difference which way you do it.

If the end result for the issues from each project is the same, for example if they should all be added under the same meta-issue (see my answer to your related question here), then I would use a single synchronizer.

Personally, I would always aim to use the minimum number of synchronizers necessary to achieve the desired effect.

Structure 2.6 and earlier

If you're using an older version of Structure, then please upgrade to 2.7 as soon as possible (needs JIRA 6.2, see Structure 2.7 release notes).

Prior to version 2.7, synchronizers couldn't be edited after they were created; in your example, if you wanted to remove a project from that list at a later date, then you would have to delete the synchronizer and write another one from scratch.

In this case, the best method is to create a synchronizer for each project. That way if you want to remove a project from the list, you can do it by just disabling or deleting the relevant synchronizer.

Best,

Robert

Martim Schnack March 12, 2014

Thank you one more time, Robert!

Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2014

My pleasure as always, Martim :)

Suggest an answer