Structure for Jira Cloud: how can i remove duplicates in the structure using automation?

Parrish Pope April 8, 2020

In the server instance of Jira structure you can add a remove duplicates within the automation.   The Cloud version does not.   As an example I've created a query to pull in all issues types for a given filter.   I've added the "add issues under epics" automation, which works fine.  the problem is it now shows the stories under the epic, as well as, all the stores at the same level as the epic.   so, the stories are under the same folder twice.   :/   The server instance does not have this behavior, but also has an automation to remove dups.  So, unless everything you create is under and epic and you just restrict your issues types to epics in your original query....your going to have dups within the automation context. 

Is there a way I'm not seeing?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2020

Hi @Parrish Pope ,

In that concrete example, maybe you can add this condition to the Insert Automation's JQL:

...AND "Epic Link" is EMPTY

That way you will remove Stories from the first level which belonged to an Epic, therefore removing duplicates. Depending on your exact use case, it might work for you, or maybe that's not enough.

If you wanted to remove the duplicates from the second level instead, I think that might not be possible, as @Egor Tasa [ALM Works] confirmed Filter Automation is not available on the Cloud version of Structure.

Regards

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2020

Just read in the Structure Cloud Roadmap page linked by @Egor Tasa [ALM Works] that the Filter Automation has recently been included.

screenshot.PNG

If that's the case, then it will be feasible removing the duplicates from the second level instead.

@Parrish Pope, if you would like to remove the dups from the second level, then you could add a Filter Automation targeting the second level with the same JQL used in the Insert Automation.

Regards

0 votes
Chrystal Harris August 15, 2023

Hi. I also have this problem. We are migrating from server to cloud and I now have tons of duplicates.

We are artificially adding a level above Epics via the "requires" link to Proposals. Server had the duplicate remover, but I cannot figure out a way to do so in Cloud

StructureDuplicates.JPG

Stepan Kholodov _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2023

Hello @Chrystal Harris 

The duplicates can disappear if Epics are somehow excluded from the top-level of the structure. For example, by adding and type != epic in the Insert generator's JQL query - this way Epics will not be added to the top level and they will only appear under their parent Proposals if they are linked together.

If you need further assistance, we'll be glad to have a closer look at your setup. Please reach out to us directly through our support portal.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
Tempo

Chrystal Harris August 16, 2023

Thanks. @Stepan Kholodov _Tempo_ .

Unfortunately it is not always the case that an Epic is required by a Proposal, so there are times when Epics would appear in that second query only. I can't think of an exclusion beyond that server version of "remove inserter/extender duplicates" that would work.

0 votes
Daniel May 28, 2023

Hello, how is this solution going? It s practically impossible to work in a project with 500+ tasks when they are duplicated. 

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 30, 2023

Hello @Daniel ,

There's no timeline to share on this.

Could you share some information about the generators you have set up?  Generally what we see is that introducing the duplicate issues can be avoided, negating a need for the Filter that Parrish references in the original post.

For example, if you have an Insert Generator that is adding all of the issues from a project and then an Extend Generator that adds issues belonging to Epics, you will introduce duplicates of anything under your Epic.

The way to work around this would be to adjust your Insert Generator to project = yourproject AND issuetype = "EPIC".  Now, you will only bring in your Epics and your Extend Generator will be introducing the issues related to your Epics for the first time.

This is just one example, and if you wouldn't mind sharing what generators, their details and level settings you have, we can work out the right solution for your use case.

Best,
David

Daniel May 30, 2023

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

I Think I could make it work by changing the sequences of the generators created. Let's see if it keeps the structure when adding other epics and tasks. 

Thank you!

Like David Niro likes this
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 31, 2023

You're very welcome!  Please let me know how it goes!!

Elena Cabrera
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 2, 2024

Hi 

This problem appeared on my structures and there must be a way to handle it, as I can assure it worked before. I explain what used to happen:

1. I copied a structure and clone issues creating a new one. That structure included epics, stories, sub-tasks

2. I was then able to add more stories, tasks and sub-tasks, even epics. These were automatically added to the structure - no need to do more and could drag them wherever position I wanted them. 

3. The structure was copied including all generators, which already included "add issues linked to epics" and "remove extender/duplicates". 

4. There was cero duplicates after the copy process or after adding further issues into the structure. 

Now situation: 

Step 2 is not possible specially for sub-tasks: Any newly added sub-tasks must be pinned and placed individually to visualize them in the structure. 

If I add more stories / sub-tasks and want to view them, I removed and added again the generators. This creates duplicates for all of them. 

Is there a software bug and a potential fix for this? As I said, it used to work like a charm before but not anymore. 

Thank you in advance. 

Elena

Stepan Kholodov _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2024

Hello @Elena Cabrera 

It's not possible to both clone issues and copy generators of the structure. You can either clone issues after replacing the content of generators with static content, or you can copy generators without cloning the issues. I'm afraid it is too unclear to me what your setup is exactly, and what actions you're performing to recommend any specific solution. If you need our assistance, please reach out to us directly at our support portal, and we'll look into your setup.

Best regards,
Stepan
Tempo (the Structure app vendor)

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2020

Hi Parrish,

Structure Cloud currently does not have the filter to remove inserter/extender duplicates. We plan to introduce it, but there are so many things to do, that I cannot say how quickly this will happen. You could filter stories out at inserter level (issuetype!=Story) but whether it helps or not depends on your actual use case.

You can track Structure Cloud improvements here and view Struture cloud roadmap here.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works

Suggest an answer