Structure Plugin - Issues cannot be added to non-epics

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2016

Hi

Just started using structure plugin.

I created a agile structure, enabled it for project. In project added 1 epic, 1 story and 2 tasks.

Here are some questions:

1. Epic showed up automatically under structure (why)
  2. In 2 panel window, I could drag and drop story under epic, but when I try to add task under story it shows message as shown below - (what is the issue and how do I resolve)

structure1.png

Please let me know.

Thanks

Abe

3 answers

1 vote
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2016

That sounds like normal behavior. In Agile, you should use Epic > Story > Subtask. "Task" is an issue type at the same issue level as Story, which is probably why you're not allowed to put it underneath the story (although that's a restriction that probably can be removed in a setting somewhere).

In any case, use a Subtask instead of a Task to add under a Story and you should be fine.

0 votes
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2016

Hi Abe,

To get your sub-tasks in there, add a Sub-task extender (Automate + > Extend > Sub-tasks...).

To add more issues under sub-tasks, you'll need a Links extender (Automate + > Extend > Linked Issues...) with an appropriate type of issue link.

Also limit the scope (using the Extend levels option) of both the Sub-task and Links extenders to the levels where you actually want them to operate.

The Links extender should be above the Sub-task extender in the list of generators.

Feel free to contact me on robert@almworks.com for a demo or in case you need help.

Cheers,

Robert

0 votes
AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2016

I am trying to create a hierarchy EPIC-Story-Task-Subtask. I did not find any setting to allow tasks under story.

I created subtask from storyA menu in structure, it did not appear under storyA. I then tried to drag and drop from double pane. It did not let me do it and I got the message as shown in the image below

structure2.png

Suggest an answer