Strip the @ from the reporter when creating user

Michelle Larson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

We have JIRA setup to create the user when an email is sent to the system and the user is already not there, however we would like the user to just be the information before the @ and not the entire email address.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2013

Assuming not OnDemand, JEMH 1.3 provides an extension point (Alternate ID provider) and two default implementations (basic email and LDAP), you could write an additional custom selector to use the domain prefix. Though, I would think this problematic, andy@place.com and andy@other.com for example, would you be happy with a 000 .. 001 one-up number added in such a case?

If you're OnDemand, follow Bruno's issue.

0 votes
Bruno Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2013

Michelle,

I understand what you're trying to do. However, this is the way JIRA works by default and there is no simple way (for instance, via interface) to strip the @ from the reporter when creating the user. If you're using JIRA OnDemand this won't be possible to achieve. But if you're using a JIRA self-hosted instance, the only way I could think to achieve what you're looking for would be customizing your JIRA source files.

Moreover, I think your idea could also turn into a Improvement Request, thus I took the liberty to report this at jira.atlassian.com. It's currently being tracked here:

- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-31451

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Bruno Rosa

Suggest an answer