Strange JIRA cloud configuration on locked fields

Florian Leray July 28, 2015

In JIRA Cloud, locked fields such as "Epic Name" cannot be unlocked nor modified by anyone on the client's side if I'm not mistaken.

Thing is I just got a new JIRA Cloud instance setup earlier this month where Epic Name (locked field) is not available to ANY issue type, even epics! Epic link field on the contrary is still available to all issue types (but all epic links are now like "Unnamed - Keyxxx", "Unnamed - Keyzzz", quite weird)

I do have another (older) JIRA Cloud instance where Epic Name (locked field there also) is available to the Epic issue type, which seems the usual config when I browse the Atlassian confluence pages and print screens.

I would prefer both cloud instances to have the same configuration on locked stuff, and it seems so strange to have "Unnamed" everywhere around. Are all new JIRA cloud instances working that way?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2015

Strange. You will have to raise a support ticket with Atlassian at https://support.atlassian.com to figure that out!

Florian Leray July 28, 2015

Ok thanks

Florian Leray August 2, 2015

Support confirmed my second JIRA instance was badly configured out-of-the-box and fixed the problem on these locked Epic fields. Thanks again.

David Balcaen February 7, 2017

I have a similar issue on our cloud instance.  Funny, it was not always like that, and now "Epic Name" in the Field Configuration list is now "Locked"  I had made it a global "Required" which was okay until you needed to make new Epics.  In the past I would go in, remove the Required requirement, make my new Epics then turn Epic Name into a Required field when people were making tasks.  Then, around December the configuration magically became LOCKED and I cannot do that anymore.  I put a ticket in.   It has become a serious problem as right now I am unable to make new Epics. 

Suggest an answer