Story points is zero in velocity chart

Rajendra Manchaiah July 11, 2017

By mistake I updated story point of a closed story in a closed sprint and reverted it back to original value. Now velocity chart is not considering that story point and chart is skewed up. It is considering story point as zero in the velocity chart.

Any workaround to get the original value show up in velocity chart?

To avoid this situation, my suggestions are:

1. Do not allow to edit story point after the sprint is closed.

OR

2. Consider original value for Velocity chart regardless of story point increased/decreased.

OR

3. Controlled Edit that only admin can modify the story point after sprint is closed (not recommended).

2 answers

0 votes
Rajendra Manchaiah July 11, 2017

Updated my question with 3rd suggestion.

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017

In order to prevent this situation from happening again, I would suggest including the Closed status in the workflow (if it is not already there) adding to it the property jira.issue.editable with value 'false'.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017

By the way, I once saw a screwed burndown chart just because a user had set 1,000,000 story points to a story as a joke.

After the laughs, they corrected the story points value, but as the burndown chart had to display the estimation change, it was being displayed at a scale to show up to 1 million story points, therefore, effectively making the real consumption of story points not being noticeable in a chart with such a big scale.

Suggest an answer