Story points in JIRA Agile

Philip Beckman September 9, 2013

I'm looking at JIRA Agile (AKA Greenhopper) and struggling a bit with the planning board and Story points. I'm more familiar with the classic board than the new rapid boards so maybe I'm missing something simple.

What I'd like to do is do rough estimates/planning with story points and then sprint execution with actual hourly estimates on Stories or on sub tasks of stories. This is obviously possible but I can't find a way to easily enter story points from the rapid board itself. Editing the issue in JIRA (as opposed to JIRA Agile) allows me to enter values for story points and the planning board does a nice job of displaying story points in the rapid board once I've entered values but entering the values themselves seems cumbersome (edit the issue itself in full screen mode).

I also tried adding Story Points to the issue detail view on the rapid board but the field doesn't appear in the list.

Am I missing something simple?

1 answer

0 votes
Philip Beckman September 9, 2013

Figured it out. Issues in a running sprint cannot have their story points set so the Estimate field in the issue detail view was not editable for the issues I was lookign at.

Suggest an answer