• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Story & Sub-Tasks

Hi 

How does the time tracking work when we have Sub-Tasks within a Story? For instance, if I put in Original Estimate at child level this does not roll up at parent level. And, if i burn the efforts at child level it gets rolled up @ parent level. 

This does not seem to be behaving consistently. 

Also, how can i only see Parents and not children in a dashboard?

Regards

Giri

1 answer

1 vote

If you are doing a scrum-like process with sprints, estimates and burn-down, then you do not put estimates on sub-tasks, as they are utterly pointless.

The whole point of scrum is that you are committing to deliver a set of items within a fixed time box.  The estimates live at a story level.

If you choose to break the stories up into sub-tasks, that's fine, and estimating them individually is fine if you really want to measure at that level, but the sub-tasks are utterly irrelevant to your sprint delivery and velocity.  You commit to stories, not their sub-tasks.

So, Scrum boards do not do estimates on sub-tasks because they are not of any use. 

If you're not doing scrum, then Jira does display sub-task estimates as part of the parent (it has since well before any board support was added to Jira)

So, you suggest to estimate at Story level and forget estimating at sub-task level. However, burn the hours at story level?

Also, how do i avoid seeing sub-tasks in any dashboard or report?

Yes, as that's how scrum works.

To avoid seeing sub-tasks in dashboards and reports, configure the reports and dashboards to not include them.

Thank you for your response. I was thinking is there any configuration to avoid showing up sub-tasks.

Exclude them from the filters you are using in the reports?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you