Story Splitting in JIRA

One of the strengths of Rally is the ease of splitting stories.  I can split a story and all unfinished subtasks migrate to the clone.

I can clone in JIRA, migrate in Progress Work and keep the old subtasks on the original.

Here is the crux of my question; I sprint plan to 40 points.  A story in that plan is worth 5 points.  It is attached to an epic.  That story is not completed in sprint, so I clone it and migrate the open subtasks to the clone.  

I do not want to double the points on the epic but I  want the old ticket still attached to the epic for searchability.

Do I remove the old story from the epic to not affect sprint scope and keep the points to keep reporting consistent or do I simply 0 out the old story.

Essentially what I am trying to maintain is COMMITMENT to 40 points in the old sprint and showing that sprint scope DIDN'T change.  

Rally does this by de-linking a ticket from the Epic AND allowing a story to go into the Graveyard.

Summary: 

Keep my sprint scope commitments accurate over time.

Keep my epic searchability reliable

Keep historical linkage in tact to the original stories

Only claim points when stories are completed.

5 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

JIRA has it's own way of dealing with unresolved Stories when Sprint are closed:

• Your issues will move out of the Active sprints
  • Any issues not completed at the end of the sprint will be moved to the next planned sprint, as they did not meet the team's definition of "Done". If you do not have a next planned sprint, they will be returned to the backlog and will be visible in the Backlog of the board.
    • If you have parent issues that are not 'Done' but have sub-tasks that are all 'Done', the parent issues will still be moved to the next sprint/backlog. If these parent issues are part of another active sprint, the previously completed sub-tasks will still be 'Done'.  
  • Because Scrum teams usually track completed issues by version rather than by sprint, your issues will not be marked with the date the sprint was closed.
  • Once a sprint is closed, you cannot re-open it. If you need to view the contents of the sprint again, you can select that sprint in the Sprint Report
    tick Tip: You can find issues belonging to all closed sprints by using the closedSprints() function. For details, please see the JIRA JQLdocumentation.

Reference: https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/working-with-sprints/ending-a-sprint.

For most of the Agile teams, I recommend following this approach. Unfinished Stories in a sprint should be moved out of that Sprint (either in the next Sprint or ideally in the Backlog to be re-assessed later on if it's still valuable or need to be broken down or increase the estimate etc...).

My question here is why retain the Story in the uncompleted Sprint? There will always be a scope change for uncompleted stories in Sprints (They can be viewed in the reports and charts).

Why clone them? Moving them is the right thing to do for me.

There's no own way. There is just the agile way.  Google why agile split stories.

If any of the story deliverables are complete you split stories to identify what task (or subtasks in JIRA)  You do this to prevent Garden Hoes.  Sprints that look like spikes because stories got pushed.  Velocity trending is the goal.  The alternative is the never ending "done in 2 weeks".

It's a lacking feature that JIRA doesn't support splitting.  Cloning is a mess, duplicates everywhere.

I agree with Jamin. Way too often the folks at Atlassian twist the Agile methodology to support the deficiencies of their tech-support ticketing tool called “Jira”. Due to its popularity its actually effecting how people perceive Agile and its a very unfortunate situation. The splitting of user stories is just one example of many problems Jira has supporting a proper Agile environment.

Agreed- wish there was a way to split stories.  This is one of many annoyances with Jira.  It is great in some ways but deficient in others. 

Due to organisational culture, work priorities, limited capacity/resourcing etc. unfinished work is almost always there in certain cases. I find this same reason to be annoying when the team is planning their sprint, as already highlighted above by others.

What we tried:

Backlog view -> (right click menu) Split issue (give a new name to issue and select backlog/next sprint) - *this is probably the easy part*

Now, go back to original issue/story, scroll down to tasks and select "...". Select 'bulk operation' to reparent the unfinished tasks to the newly created issue (Note: easier if you remember/know issue ID for the new one).

*All in all, these series of steps could easily take up to 5 minutes per issue split. More if you have never done this before*

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

143 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you