Story Points

Neelesh PB December 8, 2022
  1. I have given 1 story point each to 5 tasks. And I linked these 5 tasks to a story. So total story point of the Story must be 5. I predicted that it will come automatically but not happened. Then I gave 5 story point to the story and started sprint. Now total story point automatically updated as 10. Whereas actually it must be 5 according to the weightage. How it calculating. Or what are the uses of giving story point.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2022

It sounds to me that your "tasks" are a type of sub-task.  The rest of what I'm going to say is based on that assumption, so don't bother reading further if that assumption is wrong, just correct me!

Sub-tasks are a fragment of their parent story, they are not an issue in their own right.  For that reason, they are not sprint items, and hence should not have a sprint estimate of their own.  Their sprint estimates are a part of the estimate on the parent, not separated out.

For that reason, Jira does not put sprint estimates (default is Story points) on sub-tasks.  Nor does it do anything with them if you do add them to sub-tasks - they will be ignored by sprint reporting because they're not sprint items, they are not accumulated up because the estimate should be put on the parent, not the fragment, and then the main part of Jira, the issue tracker that is not built for supporting Scrum won't see them as an accumulative field either, because Story points are a Scrum artefact (The issue tracker has accumulative fields for time estimates - the time-tracking "field" includes displays of "time on this issue with all the times on the sub-tasks added to it".  But it doesn't do that for story points or other fields)

TLDR: don't put story points on sub-tasks.  It does not work.

Suggest an answer