Story Points missing in Sprint Report, but stories were estimated prior to starting the sprint

Nigel Farmer August 29, 2013

We have just started a a sprint. All Stories were sized with story points assigned prior to the start of the sprint.

However I have noticed in the sprint report that only 7 out of the 15 stories in the sprint have story points next to them, the remainder have a '-'. As mentioned, all stories had story points befor the sprint was started.

Any help would be appreciated as this is going to impact on our velocity reporting.

11 answers

1 vote
Lisa Stevenson April 21, 2014

Hi - we are experiencing the same problem. Noticed it back in December '13 and now again in April '14.

We are using version 6.0.8 - is there an update with a fix released?

Jessica Underbrink April 28, 2014

We are also experiencing this issue. Any ideas on how to work around it until it is resolved?

0 votes
andrew.lam@apac-resources.com August 20, 2015

I also have the same issue in my sprint report not refecting the revised story point after sprint started. What is the solution to rectify the sprint report?

0 votes
Nigel Farmer September 12, 2013

The sprint we have created after the upgrade is not affected at least on our test system. I will be starting our next sprint later today and will update here if any issues. As far as I know it only relates to Sprints created but not started after the upgrade. For these remove your issues out onto the backlog. Then try to delete these sprints. If you cannot as due to their workflow status,then you will have to copy your board and delete the original. These problematic sprints wil not showup in your new copy of the backlog. Then in the new copy, create your sprints again, and copy your issues into them. This should then be Ok.

We just completed our sprint where we first saw the issue. However the non-completed stories went back into one of the screwed up sprints I had previously created, which somehow magically reappeared. I moved the stories out onto the backlog, and tried to delete the problem sprint. I go the same workflow error message but when I refreshed it had gone. Im sure it is in the system somewhere and may reappear at some point (until we get a fix) but for now things are Ok.

Nigel Farmer September 12, 2013

The sprint report for our new sprint is screwed up to. So I dont think it just related to sprint that were created, but not started before the last Jira upgrade.

Also I just did the following test on our test system

1) Created a brand new Sprint

2) Added 4 Stories to the sprint and created sub-tasks for the first three, each of which was estimated.

3) Pulled the 4th Story out of the sprint onto the backlog.

4) Started the Sprint

Guess how many stories show up in the Sprint Report?

5!!!!!! What the hell.

The 3 stories that are in the sprint are included, as is the 4th one which I pulled out and back onto the backlog - I was suspecting this would be the case as I thought that any story in the sprint at any point was being included. Plain Wrong and a common enough thing to do eg negotiate with the team which stories should be in the sprint during sprint planning.

But the 5th one, has stumped me. I have absolutely no idea where this came from.

Jira People - Are you taking Note?

0 votes
frank yang September 11, 2013

I have the same issue here.

I started print on 8/27 with story points and completed the sprint on 9/10.

The story points are missing the sprint report shown as "-".

I created other sprints a few weeks ago and started one new sprint on 9/10, will these sprints have the same issue or not?

If yes, how can i avoid this from happening again?

0 votes
Sandra Siegel September 10, 2013

version 6.0.5

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

Could you please provide a version number since I'm trying to avoid this problem. I'm about to update both JIRA and JIRA agile...

Cheers Christian

0 votes
Ricardo Henao September 10, 2013

I have the same issue as everyone here. Has Jira provided a fix for this. I really need to be able to present the correct reports to leadership who have finally accepted the use of Scrum and Jira but will now have issues if this doesn't get fixed.

Nigel Farmer September 10, 2013

No fix yet but the issue that we logged is https://jira.atlassian.com/i#browse/GHS-9785

0 votes
Sandra Siegel September 8, 2013

We had the exact same problem.

0 votes
Nigel Farmer September 5, 2013

We raised this as an issue and it is being looked into. From my investigation it seems the problem is related to sprints that were created, but not started at the time we ran the last update.

I had another sprint created but not started, which I removed all issues out of and tried to delete and I got some message saying it could not be deleted due to its workflow status. On a test server I tried starting this sprint with only one item in it and in the sprint report, it contains lots of other stories not in the sprint, but which were in the sprint at the time of the last jira update. I also created a brand new sprint with items that had no stories points in for the other sprint, and they show up correctly in the sprint report, which further indicates that it is a problem with the sprints rather than this stories.

0 votes
Alexandre Cuva September 5, 2013

I have the same issue here, I think the last update went wrong. My Sprint Burndown report is useless now. He doesn't take only the select sprint data, but all the other sprint. If I dont have any sprint plan in the future it works

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2013

You will need to confirm each an every issue that you think the Story Points are missing by going into the issue history and checking if its gone. Else, you can just add the points back but you'll get a weird report.

thanks for the reply. Every Story Still has story points assigned to them.

And Another weird thing I am seeing in the Sprint report is 3 additional stories that are NOT in the sprint. These 3 stories were in the sprint but I moved them out to the backlog before the sprint was started. They do not show in the sprint on the plan or work view,only in the sprint report.

Suggest an answer