Story Points field not appearing in Navigator List

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2012

We utilize the Story Points field that is configured for all projects and for bugs, improvements, user stories, requests, and epics and it is associated with all projects (global context). I've added the field to the list of navigator columns and in preview, I can see the column and the different values for each issue. However, when viewing it directly in the list, the field doesn't display.

Being able to see the story points is essential when reviewing and planning.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2012

The symptoms you have are of a field that does not have a global context - are you sure it's truly global and not set for *most* projects?

What happens if you pick a single issue which definitely has a value for the field, and it appears on the issue-view screen, create a filter that only finds that one issue and look at it in the navigator?

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2012

It is definitely configured for global context, else you would see specific projects selected below. I've even gone in and made it for one project and then back to global and saved, just to make sure.

I've also tried what you indicated. We have a workflow status that only includes issues that have story points. When I navigate to that status' list, story points is added in the navigator, and, when i look at the preview, you can see that every record has a value for story points...but, yet when you view the navigator list, it never appears.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2012

Ah, no, I'm afraid it's not configured for global context - your "issue type(s)" are limited.

To confirm this, take a filter that has LOTS of issues, but is not showing you Story Points, and then try editing it so that it says "... AND issuetype in (the five listed in your screenshot)". You should find that the field appears, because you've limited the search results to stuff that will have the field.

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2012

The issues that then arise:

The documentation or these answers needs to be updated to indicate Global Context. Because, in the UI, that refers to Projects Selected when editing the Custom Field.

Choose applicable context

Please choose the contexts where this configuration will be applicable. Note that this will apply to only issues with the selected issue type as above.
<input id="global_true" class="radio" type="radio" name="global" value="true" checked="checked"/> <label for="global_true"> Global context. Apply to all issues in JIRA. </label>
<input id="global_false" class="radio" type="radio" name="global" value="false"/> <label for="global_false"> Apply to issues under selected projects </label>

For issue types, your option is All Issue Types or select issue types; there is no reference to Global context:

Choose applicable issue types

Please select the applicable issue types. This will enable the custom field for these issues types in the context specified below.
Issue Types
Apply for all issues with any selected issue types

I'll have to agree with others that is not a good workaround because that defeats the purpose of being able to limit fields to certain types - even story points is limited, by default, to just two types (epics and stories). Not all fields make sense for each type. And, if the field isn't pertinent in the screen, there is just no value displayed. This forces an admin into significantly more setup work because additional issue type screens must then be created in order to hide values that are not pertinent.

Your method of testing to see if this is this issue, is not valid. As stated, I specifically created a query that ONLY includes user stories (user stories have story points) that are even limited to only those user stories that have a story point field populated. When viewing that list, story points doesn't display.

This query shows only 4 issues and when adding columns, shows story points and their value. But, when you just look at this same query in view mode, the story points field does not appear.

Suggest an answer