Stopping JIRA from creating tickets from emails but allowing adding to tickets from emails

Hi,

Is there a way to stop JIRA from creating tickets from emails but allow adding comments to existing tickets from emails?

I am trying to stop folks in my company from being lazy (we also run into issues where sometimes JIRA won't create the issue due to some issue but it does take hours/days before we get to look at the problem).

Cheers,

Jig.

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi Jig,

It should be possible for you to configure JIRA mail handler to only add comments to existing issues from email. At the moment, since JIRA is creating new issues and add comments from emails, I believe that you are currently using the Create or Comment mail handler. However in order to switch this behavior, you will have to drop the current mail handler, and recreate a new one by using the Comment Issue mail handler. By using Create Issue mail handler, only emails with issue key specified in the mail subject will be processed, and the mail body will be added as issue comment. More details on this, you may refer to the following documentation:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email#CreatingIssuesandCommentsfromEmail-Addacommentwiththeentireemailbody

I hope that the info helps.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

64 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you