Stop Issues with Status Done Appearing in Backlog

Jage Schiff June 15, 2017

I would like to prevent issues with a status of Done from appearing in my backlog.

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2017

There are several possible variations on an answer to this question, but we need to know what type of board/backlog you are looking at to cover the finer points.

There is a short answer to cover most cases though.  Check that your issues have a resolution, and that when your board selects them, the filter and column config would drop them into the far right-hand column (i.e. status done is in the far-right column)

Jage Schiff June 15, 2017

Bit of a jira newbie so please forgive if the following isn't usefully responsive.  I am working from the Backlog view of an agile based project.  The issues have a status of Done... not sure what resolution refers to.  To perhaps complexicate the issue: I would like the Done status to remain as one of the columns shown on sprints.  I just don't want Done items to appear in the Backlog section (if it is Done, it is not Backlog).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2017

That's a good aim, you want to keep it clear and simple, and "if it is done, it is not backlog" is exactly right.

There's three things to look at here to begin with.

1.  Check your board's column configuration. The important thing here is that the last column on the far right hand side of the board contains the status "done"

2.  Check the board's filter.   Does it try to do anything clever, or is it a nice clean "project = xyz" filter?

3.  Resolution is a field that matters a lot in JIRA.  If it is empty, it will display "unresolved", and JIRA considers it to be an open, not-done, needs work, etc etc etc issue.  If there is a resolution filled in, then it's done.

You'll need to work through all three of those to persuade your issues to show correctly.

=====

There is a bit of a problem with what I've just said.  Different part of JIRA see these things differently.  This is a historical hangover which gives us some annoying inconsistencies which I would *really* like to get rid of.

My opinion is that the "Resolution" field should be demoted to a reason for closing the issue, and not used to decide if an issue is done with.  In plain JIRA, there's a far better way to do it, but JIRA Software complicates that (with good reason to do so), and this becomes an essay question involving phrases like "user context" and "meta status".

Suggest an answer