Status vs Resolution

Ano Nymous May 23, 2012

Hi, Our Jira admin has created resolutions such as 'Ready to test', 'In test' and 'Deployed to production'.

I would have thought these should be statuses. Am I correct, or is he working within limitations of Jira?

Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

I would create them as statuses and assign them into a workflow. That way you can control how items transition between these states

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2012

They sound very much like status in a process to me, not resolutions. So I'm with Colin.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2012

Hi,

resolutions should be something like "fixed" or "won't fix" or some other things that describe, why an issue was closed. Usually, the solution does not change with every status change like "test" or "deployed".

Best regards

Thomas

3 votes
Eric Mumford October 21, 2016

To me, “Resolution” should describe the state which resulted from the set of decisions that were made to bring the Jira issue to closure.

Resolution should not be conflated with Jira “Status”, which is a mechanism to describe a position in a workflow.

1 vote
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

It depends on your organization structure if you use resolutions or statuses.

If you are a small group that does everything and do not need special permission to progress an issue through its lifecycle then resolutions will work. Assuming you resolve resolve first, then the resolution field takes you through the qa and deployment phases before you close.

If you have separate groups of people responsible for qa, deployment or special rules (manager approval for example) to progress an issue through its lifecycle then statuses are required becauses they are tied to transitions and transitions give you the place to validiate and approve the transition into the next status.

Another reason might be your workflow designer has not figured out yet how to a create a complete workflow and does not have the time to do that.

0 votes
Ano Nymous May 29, 2012

Thanks guys. So it's not a Jira limitation. I'll have to wait to point this out, I've been pointing out too much.

Suggest an answer