Status visibility in a workflow in JIRA

Julien Gerber October 23, 2012

Hi,

I am evaluating JIRA and I want to know if what I want is possible in JIRA.

I have a workflow with the statuses "In progress", "Fixed", "Tested" and "Delivered".

What I want is that a group of user (team members) can see the issue at these different statuses.

But an other group of users (customers) must see the status "In progress" even if the status is "Fixed" or "Tested" and when the issue status will pass to "Delivered", this group will have "Delivered" as issue's stauts.

Thanks for the answers.

Regards

Julien

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2012

A three part answer...

First, don't do this, it's almost certainly a bad idea. Re-mapping status names is a recipe for disaster because you end up with two groups of people using different words for the same thing. Stick with one name for one item.

Second, in that vein, think about your requirement more carefully. You can easily extract a list of "In Progress" by using a filter that says "show me issue with a status of (in-progress or fixed)". Use that reporting instead. Your specific use-case actually suggests to me that you should set a "resolution" when going to Tested or Delivered, so that Jira reports on "open issues" (in progress as far as a customer is concerned, and in-progress or fixed to the developers) or "closed issues" for the other two. Might not be appropriate, but worth a thought. You could even write a spot of code - have a read-only field of "customer status", which you set in post-functions as issues move through the workflow. There are probably other things you can do which are also far better than renaming status by user group.

Third, if you absolutely must, then you could change the language. Briefly (I'll go into more detail if you really must), you define a new language for (say) developers, and then translate the status. You then need to tell developers to set their preferences to developer-english and make the customers use customer-english. They can be pretty much identical. It's a lot of work though, and still runs into the "using different language" problem

Julien Gerber October 23, 2012

Thank you Nic.

I will probably use the second solution.

0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2012

Hi Julien,

Currently, as far as I know, that's not really possible.

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2012

Hey there, Julien.

Not too sure on this but you might need customisation on your workflow for this one. Perhaps you can seek the assistance from the Atlassian Experts and see what is their advice on this?

http://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts/?tab=find-an-expert

Suggest an answer