Status set according to Issue Creator in JIRA Cloud

Amber L Garcia April 13, 2015

We have lot's of different users creating tickets, but they all require progression through our 'Approved' status which can only be initiated by an Administrator.  Our issue is that it is quite time consuming for our Administrators to create tickets and then go back into them to transition from Open to Approved.  Is there a way to have different status' set based on who the Issue Creator is?

I've also entertained the idea having different workflows drive this such as, dev and qa only creating bugs or suggestions and having only admins create improvements or tasks but it's not a good solution as we'd like issues to be reported accurately by everyone.

2 answers

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2015

Hi Amber, I'm afraid that's not possible. When an issue is created, a transition is executed, and that transition has a fixed destination step, which is associated to a status, and it cannot be changed depending on who is executing it. In this case, I believe you can either create another transition where users that are not administrators can execute, or you can remove the restriction from the 'Approved' transition itself, allowing other users to perform the transition.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

0 votes
Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2015

Hi, Amber.

I imagine you want to set the status based on the 'Issue Creator', because you want some users to be automatically approved. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Having different issue types with different workflows, as you mentioned, would be the first and most obvious solution.

An alternative would be to have the customer trigger the transition to 'approved'. You could use 'conditions' to set which users are allowed to transition the issue and if the customer has permission, (s)he can transition the issue.

That wouldn't be automatic, but would work.

You could also from time to time do a search for issues create by those users in the Open status and do a bulk transition to 'Approved'. That would require manual work, but once for all issues.

I hope it was helpful.

Kind regards,
Jaime Kirch da Silveira
Atlassian Cloud Support

Suggest an answer