Status TO DO with DONE Resolution: how to fix this ?

Oliviu Nita October 26, 2016

Hi,

Few months ago i have made some WorkFlow modifications, in big lines all was ok till few days ago when one of my resp showed me this:

Several issues have a wrong resolution:

E.G: He showed me a issue with the Status TO DO and with the Fini = DONE Resolution... (see pics) or reversal issues with DONE Status has OPEN Resolution

The problem is in the Agile board the issue appears as DONE... this is not very helpful, and he already missed some issues because of that situation.

Before put here the question i have researched and found only questions without answers...

If any of you had a idea/solution... please share it with me smile 

Thank you000519.jpg000520.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2016

I think the search functions here are very weak, there are loads of answers on this subject

Cause: someone has put the resolution field on the edit (or create) screen for your issues, so the users are setting it (they can't leave it blank)

Fix part 1:

• Go through all your screens and remove the resolution field.  I
  • It should only be on screens that are used in "close issue" type transitions.  Never a create, edit or other transitions
  • You can set it in post-functions if you don't want to show it to the users
  • Simplified workflows can set it with a simple flag
  • You should use another post-function to clear it on re-open type transitions
  • Have a look at the built in default workflow, which shows how to do most of that

Fix part 2:

You now have a pile of broken issues that are open but resolved.

• You need to move them all through a transition with the "clear resolution" post-function on it.  You may have to add a temporary transition to your workflows to enable this correction
  • If you have the script-runner, they can be corrected with one of the scripts in there

Hi Nick & Thank's

This is a very well detailed FIX, first i will remove all the resolution field from the screens (i will keep only for the Close and Done) and than (i will try the easy way) i will try do do what Sten said

We don't have a very large number of issues, we have +-30 Agile projects with a 200 max issues in each one, and i have found it only 2 projects with "bugs"

I really don't like to play with the workflows (even so when my resp asked me i have done it...) we use JIRA from about a year and i'm faaaaar away to be a guru/expert smile

I will keep you and Sten updated.

A big thank's for your fast answers.

Oliviu Nita October 27, 2016

Thank you Nick, i have managed and corrected WF (used for 38 projects)

The solution: added Clear resolution field when the transition change from DONE to Reopen

Garth Hume March 4, 2021

Awesome, thanks

0 votes
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2016

As you can't edit the Resolution directly (at least I couldn't), you have to use a workaround. You can create a new transition from the status the ticket is in back onto itself and have the resolution field visible. Make the transition available only to yourself or to an administrator group.

Create a filter showing the issues in this status with incorrect resolution, then use Bulk Edit (Bulk Transition) to change the Resolution.

Rinse and repeat for every transition in which there are issues with this problem.

Good ideea i will try this fix smile

Thank you ! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2016

Fix your screens first, otherwise it will keep happening.

Sir YES Sir laugh

Suggest an answer