Status Summary for Jira Project is now showing correct totals...

Kevin Murphy July 29, 2013

One of our Projects which uses the "New" issue type (instead of Open for the default issue type) is showing an incorrect total when looking at the Status Summary.

If I click on "New" it shows 16 issues, which is correct but here it's showing 1544. This is likely lumping the "Closed" issues in with the new. Any ideas why this is occuring?

2 answers

0 votes
Kevin Murphy July 30, 2013

When I click on new the Filter is as follows:

project = PWET AND status = New ORDER BY priority DESC

This shows 17 issues (same as when I click on "New" in the Status Summary. Doing a search search for stauts = Closed brings up 1,522 slips. 17+1522 = 1539, the total shown in the Status Summary (some change since the screenshot above). Should note I'm still not seeing any Closed slips in the Status summary.

Should note I'm free to "break" things here as this is a development instance (not our proudction server).

You'll notice that now there is a "Final Review" count of 1. Going to remove all the POST instructions that clear the Resolution field for anything transitioning to the Close status and re-index.

Let you know what happens. If I don'get results I'll poke around on some of the slips like you suggested (looking at it's history).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2013

Looks like it could be an indexing issue. We can confirm or disprove that by re-indexing.

If it is that, the report should be corrected afterwards, and you'll need to start looking into what is/was causing the index to go awry. If it's not, then we'll have to dig into the issues and look at their histories and data. But try re-indexing first, or we could go running off in totally the wrong direction

1/2 way through re-indexing (started it a few hours ago actually). Made a change to one of the transition conditions (POST). Seems like it's an issue with the Workflow. Will update once it's done.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2013

That makes a lot of sense - if there's an issue with a transition, then your raw data should be fine, but the index drifts off in certain cases. If re-indexing fixes it, then this is probably the problem.

No luck - removed one of the conditions from one of the oft used transistions and re-indexed. No luck. Same Status Summary #'s. Any other ideas? Like to keep the work flow intact (and no apply a new/default workflow).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2013

Sorry, I was not very clear here. You've got two problems

1. Something is damaging your data. The changes to the workflow you've made are an attempt to stop this damage happening, but not to fix existing damage

2. Existing damage - that's what the re-index is trying to fix. As it did not help, we need to dig further. If your changes in 1 prevent any more damage happening, then we've got a cause and that should lead us to a fix, but if they don't then we need to think more.

The next thing to do:

Pick an issue that appears to be broken. That is, one that falls into the 1544 on the report, but does not show in the "new" filter (16). What is the history of that issue? (at least for all status changes).

As an aside, can you also check all the numbers add up (does the project genuinely have, and cross check what happens when you build the filters by hand? The most important one to check is that "new" is showing 1544, but clicking through gives you just 16, so what's the result if you run a new filter by hand, for "project = x and status = new"? 16, 1544, or something else? Finally, when you click on the "new" filter, does it return the same filter I've just typed? (I mean look at the filter definition for it - what's the string it's running?)

Kevin Murphy August 7, 2013

Think my last comment didn't get seen (it's a response to my first post) (See above for the answers to your questions). Looking at the history now for some of the affected slips.

UPdate: Also, when looking at the history of a slip (History tab) next to most of the changes (IE if something went from Completed to Closed it has a value in brackets next to it, IE Closed [6] , what's the 6 mean? Is that related to something in the workflow?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 7, 2013

It's the ID in the database for the status. Closed is 6 off-the-shelf. If you've added more status, you'll find them numbered in five digits 10000, 10010, 10023 etc.

Kevin Murphy October 7, 2013

Hi Nic- Sorry for the long delay here. Our busy time hit and then I was at your Summit (Was a blast!). So - right now things are pretty much the same.

The Status Summary shows the following:

Open: 18 - Clicking Open or doing the following search, project = PWET AND status=Open, brings up 18 issues

New: 1554 - Clicking New or doing the following search, project = PWET AND status = New, brings up 14 issues

There are a total of 1,1613 issues in this project. Adding up the Status Summary page I get a total of 1,613 (same total if I just do a search via project = PWET).

I looked at a few of the slips where the status was != to any of those shown in the Status Summary. This brought up 1,540 issue (1554 - 14).

I checked the transitions as well (mainly the post functions - they all have the "Fire a Issue Closed event that can be processed by the listeners" entry.

To save time does the Status Summary pull from a differen table (IE it's not doing a query each time that page is accessed but instead that page or the tables it references are updated with the tables/fields having a running total for that projects various status types?

Suggest an answer