Static issue list from normal jira filter

Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2014

I was wondering; I have a set of issue results from a filter. 2 days from now the filter will return different results. Is there a way to take the current results and autocreate a filter link that will bring up those same issues no matter when the filter is clicked on? So essentially turning issuecreated >= -4h into something like "issuekey is in (XX-5, xx-6, xx-7, xx-8)"?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2014

I don't know of a way to achieve this. Because JIRA filters could be max. 2000 characters long (since 6.x) it could be problematic, even if one have a method or script for such a feature.

One way I could think of is to create a custom field "static filter", filter the issues and fill the static filter custom field with a unique value through a bulk edit operation. The static filter field could be used later to reproduce the filter result.

Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2014

I guess I'm not describing this well. Here's what I did as a workaround:

1. I made my query, then I exported the results as an excel file.
  2. I took the issuekey column only, and transposed it to a row.
  3. I then combined the cells while adding a comma.
  4. Now I can use that text in a query that will stay "static."

I know there's probably a much more efficient way of even hacking this, but is there a way in JIRA to really do this conveniently?

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2014

Yes, I think it's pretty clear for me what you want. I see no changes to my answer above.

If your keys are at an average of 7 characters long and you use "key in ()" you could get at maximum (2000 - 9 (static text))/(7+1 (Komma)) = 248 issues in this static filter. And I don't know a way to get to this query in a conventional way.

But you could try my suggestion to achieve this without any issue limit.

0 votes
Ert Dredge October 12, 2015

If your query uses only Assignee, Fix Version, Priority,  Reporter, Resolution and Status, then you can use the WAS operator to create a query that will always report the same issues, e.g.

status was "In Progress" ON '2015-10-12 11:00'

Sometimes I'll also risk adding in typically static fields, like type or project

project = INT AND type = story AND status was "In Progress" ON '2015-10-12 11:00'

...and that gets a query that can come back with different issues but is unlikely to.

Otherwise, I have found no way more efficient than your spreadsheet-based hack.   Occasionally I turn off all the columns except Key and then copy-paste that list into a text editor and replace newlines with ', ' instead of using excel, but that's pretty much just as convoluted.

Suggest an answer