Static issue list from normal jira filter

I was wondering; I have a set of issue results from a filter. 2 days from now the filter will return different results. Is there a way to take the current results and autocreate a filter link that will bring up those same issues no matter when the filter is clicked on? So essentially turning issuecreated >= -4h into something like "issuekey is in (XX-5, xx-6, xx-7, xx-8)"?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Henning Tietgens Community Champion Jan 23, 2014

I don't know of a way to achieve this. Because JIRA filters could be max. 2000 characters long (since 6.x) it could be problematic, even if one have a method or script for such a feature.

One way I could think of is to create a custom field "static filter", filter the issues and fill the static filter custom field with a unique value through a bulk edit operation. The static filter field could be used later to reproduce the filter result.

I guess I'm not describing this well. Here's what I did as a workaround:

  1. I made my query, then I exported the results as an excel file.
  2. I took the issuekey column only, and transposed it to a row.
  3. I then combined the cells while adding a comma.
  4. Now I can use that text in a query that will stay "static."

I know there's probably a much more efficient way of even hacking this, but is there a way in JIRA to really do this conveniently?

Henning Tietgens Community Champion Jan 26, 2014

Yes, I think it's pretty clear for me what you want. I see no changes to my answer above.

If your keys are at an average of 7 characters long and you use "key in ()" you could get at maximum (2000 - 9 (static text))/(7+1 (Komma)) = 248 issues in this static filter. And I don't know a way to get to this query in a conventional way.

But you could try my suggestion to achieve this without any issue limit.

If your query uses only Assignee, Fix Version, Priority,  Reporter, Resolution and Status, then you can use the WAS operator to create a query that will always report the same issues, e.g.

  status was "In Progress" ON '2015-10-12 11:00'

Sometimes I'll also risk adding in typically static fields, like type or project

  project = INT AND type = story AND status was "In Progress" ON '2015-10-12 11:00'

...and that gets a query that can come back with different issues but is unlikely to.


Otherwise, I have found no way more efficient than your spreadsheet-based hack.   Occasionally I turn off all the columns except Key and then copy-paste that list into a text editor and replace newlines with ', ' instead of using excel, but that's pretty much just as convoluted.

 

 

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

82 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you