Static Type Checking Errors

invinci April 11, 2017

Hi, 
We are using Jira 6.3 and wanted to upgrade to Jira 7.0.11. I tested few of the existing scripts on the new server, but ended up with lot of errors. Most of these errors are related to type casting because of deprecated versions. I tried fixing most of them, but have a problem with one function call in my script.

The error is [Static type checking] - Cannot return value of type java.lang.Object on method returning type com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser.

The line where the error is in the below code snippet where I am trying to return the ApplicationUser, but the return type of qaContact?.getValue(foundIssue) is an Object.

Code Snippet:

if (foundIssue != null)

{

def qaContact = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjects(foundIssue).find {it.name.equals(FIELD_NAME)}

return qaContact?.getValue(foundIssue)

}

How can I fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Eric Lemay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2017

Hi invinci,

This is because due to there being multiple types of custom fields returning different object classes (Lists, Maps, Strings, Long, etc.) The javadoc lists the return value as being a simple Object.

Despite the typechecking returning an error, that code should run, assuming that the QAcontact field is a user field.  Alternatively, you might get around the error by casting the result to ApplicationUser first:

return (ApplicationUser)qaContact?.getValue(foundIssue)

Eric

Suggest an answer