Static Type Checking Error

Vedat January 13, 2018

Hi,

When we upgrade Jira, groovy scripts which work successfully old version does not work anymore. In Jira script console, l got some static type checking errors errors.

script_error_4.png

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2018

Yes, the API often changes as versions change.

At a glance, there's nothing that jumps out as being wrong in your script, but I really can't bothered to read it properly without you saying which line might be a problem. I don't see any reason to put in any effort when the computer will tell us where it is faster.

Could you use the built-in script editor?  That will tell you where things are wrong in your script.

Vedat January 13, 2018

Yes, I use the built-in script editor. My scripts had no errors in my old version. My Jira is upgraded to 7.4.4. and all scripts gives static type checking errors. How can I fix all these errors? Is there any easy way to fix all of them at one-step correction?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2018

No, you need to understand them to fix them.  A computer can't guess at what you were intending to do in your script.

However, static type checking is something that needs to be done when you use a weakly typed language like Groovy.  I personally dislike weakly typed languages because of this sort of woolly thinking they encourage, and I tend to fix most of the ones I cause by swapping to properly declared objects.  (instead of "def thing = ", I'll say "int thing = ", so I can rely on knowing what type of object "thing" is later)

There's a less opinionated write up about static object types over at https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/#_tips_for_type_checking which includes a lot of information on fixing them.

Suggest an answer