Starting JIRA kills Confluence: why!?

dukeofgaming April 16, 2015

Ok, this is a two-part question.

I got an unmanaged VPS with CentOS from a hosting company in order to install several Atlassian tools, however, I ran into the problem that when starting a second application, the first one begins to crash.

So far I have installed Confluence (running on port 8090), JIRA (running on 8080) and Crowd (some other port I cannot remember), but I can only run one at a time. I tried setting up a reverse proxy but this does not seem to work.

While doing some research I found that apparently this is not possible:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Deploying+Multiple+Atlassian+Applications+in+a+Single+Tomcat+Container

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Installing+Confluence+and+JIRA+Together

I find this weird, since I thought each Atlassian app came with it's own Tomcat... so I'm wondering if I just need to find a way to "use different Tomcat containers", but I am stupid and I don't even know what that means (yes, I used teh googles, and they do nothing).

So, part #1: am I missing something?, or there is just no way of doing this in an accepted way

I think I found a solution though, linux containers:

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/06/deploy-java-apps-with-docker-awesome/

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2015/01/stash-docker/

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/11/docker-all-the-things-at-atlassian-automation-and-wiring/

Since they seem to isolate the running envirnoment and even enable you to setup network routing between the container and your OS.

So, part #2: are linux containers / docker the accepted solution to my problems?

I honestly don't feel like renting several servers...

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Der Lun
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2015

There is a possibility that Linux OOM(Out Of Memory) killer is the culprit of the process killing due to the fact that it have ran out of memory and as a result it have killed Confluence. You might want to read our knowledge based article found here and try out the resolution provided on there to see if the issue persists.

If that does not work for you, may I know which distribution of Confluence are you installing? You could refer to the following download link here and let all of us here know which distribution you have downloaded. This should give us an idea if both applications are indeed running on the same tomcat, as Nic have mentioned, we do not recommend running 2 applications on the same tomcat.

dukeofgaming April 19, 2015

This was exactly the problem, rented a bigger VPS and the problem was solved

Hao Doan March 18, 2016

FYI, In my situation, I increased the JIRA JVM in setevn.sh and it killed my Confluence. Once I revert back to the default JVM, everything is running great.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2015

There is a question here about what you have installed, we need to establish that first.

Atlassian apps do deploy separate Tomcats if you use the simple installers.  As per Atlassian docs, never install JIRA and Confluence in the same Tomcat.  It can work, with very very specific combinations of versions, but you're just about stuffed on upgrade and you're not supported.

This machine I'm typing on is currently running Confluence and JIRA fine together - two JVMs, two Tomcats, separate processes, ports 8080 and 8090.

So, I suspect the question is what you mean by "I can only run one at a time"?  What errors and symptoms do you get?

(Running them on searate kit, different dockers etc will fix it, but you shouldn't have to resort to that) 

dukeofgaming April 17, 2015

I installed mostly with out of the box settings, but whenever I start and then access the second application the first one breaks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2015

Define "breaks"

dukeofgaming April 18, 2015

The process dies

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2015

Dies? Stops dead? Writes something into the logs first?

dukeofgaming April 18, 2015

Yes, the process suddenly disappears. Nothing gets written to the logs. Now I even stopped Apache and removed the proxy attribibutes from the conf/server.xml If I start JIRA, and access it, no problems. I stop JIRA then start Confluence, and it works... then start JIRA without stopping Confluence, Confluence dies and JIRA loads... then try to restart Confluence and it just won't start. No errors, no log entries at least where I can tell... driving me crazy. I keep coming back to the idea of this Tomcat container thing, but I do not know where/how I can tell if they are running in the same one or not, and how to change that. They are both running on their different default ports, with their own embedded JREs.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2015

To get them to run in the same container, you'd have to install Tomcat then the war versions of both applications (either by installing one application with an installer and then adding the other manually, or by installing it without Atlassian stuff and manually adding both "war" versions) I suspect you have run the installers separately though, so there should be two separate installations. One very important question though - when you ran the installers, did you make sure the systems have *completely* separate working areas? It will have asked you to define installation and data directories and you should have done something like: /opt/atlassian/jira /opt/atlassian/confluence /data/atlassian-home/jira /data/atlassian-home/confluence And also separate databases (if you've got an external one - maybe the same server, but jira and confluence should have their own schema so they're separate. I usually have separate dedicated users for them too) Which logs have you read to see what is going wrong? Look for catalina.out as well as atlassian-(jira||confluence).log

Suggest an answer