Start a workflow issue with a custom resolution state

Sylvain November 6, 2012

For a specific workflow, I would like to initiate the issue (in open state) with a custom resolution state value (which is not the default one)

For this purpose, I tried to edit the built-in "create" transition to add a post-function "The Resolution of the issue will be set to ###".

Then I tried to create an issue but it does not work.

Is it the right to get what I want ?

Regards.

Sylvain

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sylvain November 6, 2012

Sorry, I just understood my mistake.

I need to put this custom post-function below the post-function "Creates the issue originally".

It works fine now.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2012

WARNING; Populating the resolution field with ANYTHING will cause many of the built in reports/filters like 'assigned to me' to not show the issue. The 'unresolved' is actually indicating a null value, which the report/ filter looks for. If you fill in the field at creation time no one will ever see it in their 'assigned to me' report and the created/resolved report will show them all as resolved. Setting the resolution any time before actually closing the issue causes problem with the users not finding issues they need to work. I don't know why you want to do this, but explore using a custom field for the purpose.

Sylvain November 7, 2012

Thanks Joe, I got your point.

Basically I wanted to do it for naming purpose. I have several kind of workflow. Some of them are fine with the default value "unresolved". For other, I would rather prefer to display something else, like "ongoing".

If you have any alternative proposal, any suggestion is welcome.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2012

What do you mean by "it does not work"? Error message? Issue creates ok?

I also have a couple of doubts about what you've said:

1) "Custom resolution state value". Be specific - do you mean the "Resolution" field specifically, or some other field? Later in your question, you say the "resolution", why all the extra words in the first sentence?

2) If you are talking about the standard "Resolution" field, then I'd question why you are doing this? It will set the issue to "resolved and hence, doesn't need any attention". That will lead you straight into users asking you things like "I just created an issue, but it won't show up in the assigned-to-me list, where has it gone?", and created vs resolved statistics saying "stuff is closed as soon as it's opened". It's instinctively wrong, I'm just curious about the use-case you have for subverting it. If I've guessed at the right field!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2012

Ah, you answered while I was typing.

Point 2 definitely stands though - are you really sure you want to break the system like that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2012

i.e. What Joe just said...

Suggest an answer