Start Sprint - Error: To update this sprint you must have Project Administrator permissions for all of the following projects

John Alton July 13, 2015

When trying to start a sprint, the users receive the error "To update this sprint you must have Project Administrator permissions for all of the following projects: X, Y."  (X and Y are internal project names)

I saw this (similar) Answer received when the submitted was trying to close a sprint. My issue differs in that they are trying to start a sprint. 

The 2 people receiving this error are both set as Project Managers for the Y project, and one is set as the Project Lead for the Y project. 

Any ideas what could be causing that problem? 

thanks,

John 

3 answers

0 votes
Peter Kocher July 13, 2015

Hi

I get the same problem, where the systems says that admin-permissions are required for project X, Y and Z, but the person has admin rights for project Z and the board is for this project. And I cannot find any "link" to the other 2 projects X and Y ????

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2015

Again, boards are not a project artefact, they can draw in many. Check the two things on my last comment above.

Peter Kocher July 14, 2015

Understood. We have moved a lot of issues from project from project A to Z, but from the projects X and Y to Z as the error messages says. Never-mind. What is astonishing, is the fact, that when a issue is moved, JIRA keeps somewhere the original project and inhibits the project admin to start the sprint. In my opinion, this should not happen. May I ask you to check with the design team in order to find out if JIRA works as designed? I do not think, that this behaviour is sense making. Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2015

I don't work for Atlassian... Anyway, yes, it keeps the project, purely as historical thing (Issue was in XXX, and called XXX-123, so someone landing on https://myjira.com/browse/XXX-123 is automatically sent to ZZZ-456 where it was moved to). But I don't think that in itself is affecting you. I suspect the problem is that XXX-123 was put in a *sprint* while it was on the board, and Agile is keeping that information. Technically, that's correct behaviour, because you committed to work on that issue and put it in the sprint. The fact you've moved it to another project doesn't remove it from the sprint. Have a look at the issue and check if it is in a sprint (even if it's closed/done etc)

Chad Wilhelm October 2, 2015

We are having the same issue. I have tried searching by sprint id using jql and this usually shows another issue as a part of active sprint but not this time. The filter is linked only to the one project. Any ideas? Thanks

0 votes
John Alton July 13, 2015

hey Nic- Thanks for that. I get your point about permissions. 

Guess I should've been more specific: I'm wondering what conditions could cause this "start sprint" permission to require Project Administrator role in two projects? 

thanks, 

John

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2015

The board for the sprint contains (part of) both projects.

John Alton July 13, 2015

hey @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] - The second project (call it "X") does not have an Agile board yet. Do you mean there could be issues from Project X set to display on the Agile board for Project Y? thanks, John

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2015

Boards do not belong to projects, there's no real "agile board for project Y". It's a board which draws its issues from project Y. And, in the case you're seeing here, it draws some from X as well. Two possibilties spring to mind first 1. Check the board configuration - what does the filter for it say? Just "project Y"? (Ignore the order by clause). Or something else? 2. Have you moved issues from project Y to X?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2015

Project manager or lead means nothing unless the permissions make them a "Project Administrator".

Check the permission schemes for both projects - what is the rule granting project admin rights?  Now check that against your user's group/role/etc membership

Suggest an answer