Start Over

Matthew Murphy March 29, 2014

I started trying to run JIRA on a small VPS (512mb of ram SSD drive 2 core Processor) after running into a lot of brick walls and taking forever to get any kind of error page (and every once in awhile seeing the setup page in my browser) I shut down my VPS and upgraded to a 1Gb of ram, and 4 cores. Now I get faster issues (with database now) It says I got the wrong information (which I configured via command line) I was wondering is their any way I can just flush out all the configs and get back to that install screen in my browser? My problem I believe was I created the database incorrectly following another guide then I found this guide https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+MySQLand I have it working fine on a local system now... But I need my 4 members to be able to access a server on the internet.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2014

Stop Jira, drop all the tables in the database, remove the contents of your Jira home directory (move rather than delete, just to be on the safe side) and restart Jira.

If, however, it really is just the database, then I'd stop Jira, create a new database for it, then hack the dbconfig.xml file in jira home to point to the new one, restarting it should create everything clean.

BUT, before you do any of that, the problem you're getting is just that Jira can't log into the existing database - did you re-grant all the right permissions in the database after you altered it?

Matthew Murphy March 30, 2014

What I first did was logged into mysql, create database jira; and then I granted all permissions and flushed. I then ran the config.sh and told it to use mysql, gave all the details and then I ran into the error above. I then found the guide on making a mysql database which had me set the type UTF-set 8 (going off memory here) so i dropped the first database and created a brand new database... I've never used JIRA before nor have I ever ran any java apps before.

I edited the dbconfig.xml like you suggested and reloaded the site and Now I get a brand new error.

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:

• Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)

In my instance addinh -Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300 to JVM_EXTRA_ARGS in /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/setenv.sh fixed it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2014

Ahh excellent. Sometimes a clean database is the most simple option.

0 votes

HTTP Status 500 - org.ofbiz.core.util.GeneralRuntimeException: Could not determine database type. (Access denied for user '****'@'***' (using password: YES))

Suggest an answer