Stand up Confluence first then add JIRA later?

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2017

I'm working with a client to set up hosted instances of JIRA and Confluence. Confluence is pretty much ready to go but we're still working through issues with JIRA. We really need Confluence up and running for users to start adding content so I am wondering if it's possible ot stand up Confluence first, then add JIRA later. My main concern is the user database since we will be using delegated AD for JIRA.

Thanks!

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2017

The systems are technically two toaly separate services, so yes, you can start using one without the other.

The sticking point is your delegated user stuff.  You'll want JIRA running and hooked up to AD, so that it can provide the user data to Confluence.

However, this is not actually a huge deal, to my mind.  You could run JIRA to do that and simply not have anyone allowed to log into it (other than your admins).  That would mean you're free to carry on getting JIRA ready, while the users are using Confluence, and only let them into JIRA when you are ready.

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2017

Thanks, tht's what I was thinking too but the issues we're having with getting JIRA set up involve importing from an exsiting cloud instance. Every time we do the import, it blows away everything, including the user directory. I'm concerned that if we have exsiting confluence content, we will either lose it or users will lose access to the content they have aleady created when we recreate the user directory in JIRA. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2017

Ouch.  That sounds broken.

You could take a separate approach - run a temporary JIRA to do the accounts stuff, while you work on getting the real JIRA working.  Assuming the accounts are not going to change, once you have the real JIRA working, you should be able to just flip the Confluence over to it.

Suggest an answer