Sprints shared between multiple boards

Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2016

Hi 

For the problem described in KB (Sprints shared between multiple boards), I need to find a solution for this problem or evaluate some alternatives to JIRA and/or JIRA Agile. If you have the same problem like us and find some solution for that, please share it with me.

Here are symptoms:

• A sprint shows up in a board in which it wasn't created.
  • Making a change to a sprint in one board affects a sprint in another board.
  • A sprint shows up in a board after an issue has been moved to it from another board.
  • Attempting to close sprint requires admin permissions in another project.

and this is my comment there:

Another problem exist here and I describe it:
1- Consider you have two boards(each for 1 component or subsystem) for 1 project and each board belongs to specific persons without any persons exist in both of them.

2- Consider a bug has been raised and you assign it to a person in an sprint in board 1 wrongly.

3- Now You want to reassign it to another person who belong to another board. If you do this, an sprint auto created in board 2 with the same sprint name at board 1 and you have to do some more stage to avoid this problem

I hope to Atlassian see this as a bug not a feature.

Thanks in advance smile

Ansar

9 answers

5 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2016

Hi Ansar,

I think the sprint is showing up in different boards because there are issues in that sprint that belong to both boards.

You should look carefully to the filter query of the board configuration. Every issue should belong to one board, your filter query should ensure that.

A sprint that belongs to more than one board can be closed in any board. If it is closed in one board, it will be closed in the other boards too.

Hope that helps

Thomas 

Oskar Kamiński July 3, 2019

What does "belong" mean. I am asking as we have such a situation and we see no issues that in our understanding "belong" to both.

Moreover we have a situation which rather is a bug.
Board A
  sprint c
  sprint z (active)
Board B
  sprint d (active)

order of creation of sprints: c, z, d.

After creating sprint d it suddenly started to share names and status with sprint c.
By creating the sprint d the name was populated to sprint c (so sprint c is now named sprint d).
In board A different tasks are visible in sprint c (named Sprint d now),
and in Board B completely different issues are visible in Sprint d.
So there are no commonalities.
So to me the fact that the Sprint d suddenly started to share anything with random other sprint is a bug.

Moreover, the sprint c is now active - for some reason jira allowed it.
This results in jira disabling "Complete sprint" button for my just ending sprint z and so closing or starting a sprint is blocked.
Even worse - even after the date of completing is passed the sprint z is still active :(.

Would you know how is that possible or better how to solve that?

How can an issue "belong to both boards"?
Maybe if I know how to make an issue appear in two boards in the first place I will find such one in my project.

Tina Cai October 21, 2020

I feel this is an issue instead of a feature.  If you insist that it is a JIRA feature, then it is not a good feature.  I hope to remove this feature in my JIRA boards. 

Radka Svobodova November 4, 2020

I have the same bug - I have nothing common in those 2 boards where the sprint was sudenly integrated as one sprint - one board is from filter limited to project A and the second board filter is strictly limited to project B, there is not a one common issue in both boards. So the theory about at least one issue that is in both filters is not fulfilled and yet the sprints are connected and affected one with the other

Like a_edel likes this
4 votes
Amy Brantley February 27, 2019

I used to have this problem before Atlassian introduced the Next Gen projects and there were ways to fix it.  Now however, it's gotten very much worse.  Now it seems like there might only be 1 sprint across all projects on the back end.  It looks like there are different sprints with different sprint names but I made a change to a sprint in 1 project and it completed screwed up a sprint in an entirely different project that had no shared issues AND deleted the sprint completely.  I know this because I named the sprint with a different name and it showed up in the other project AND when I changed the name of the sprint in 1 project - it then changed the name of the sprint in the other project... This has really screwed up my team right now.  I've tried creating entirely new sprints and bulk updating the sprint names but I not found anything that fixes the underlying issue.  I cannot reindex anymore because we have a cloud instance and you can't do that in the cloud anymore.  Opened a ticket with Atlassian.  Hopefully they will respond quickly and tell me what happened!

Siiri Ruuhela June 24, 2019

Hi Amy, did you get any resolution to this issue? :) I am struggling with similar type of thing. 

Christine Deng July 2, 2019

We are currently facing same issue. We thought it might be because both projects have the same sprint name. However, when I changed the sprint name in one project, it also reflects in the other project as well.

Richard Purkiss July 30, 2019

I'm also facing this issue. Creating a sprint name in one board, and this name being replicated to another board. Changing the board name or completing the sprint completes for both. This seems to be happening all the time now. Must be a Jira bug? Any ideas of a resolution to it? 

Jenny Streett August 12, 2019

It's not a bug.  Sprints are not related to Boards or Projects, so if you create a Sprint with the same name as an existing Sprint, it will overwrite the existing Sprint with that name.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/sprints-shared-between-multiple-boards-779159068.html.  Atlassian recommends including the Project in the Sprint name to avoid confusion.

Like # people like this
Radka Svobodova November 4, 2020

I did not create a sprint with the same name, so it is not either this type of issue, the names of sprints were absolutely different

2 votes
Rahul Rawal April 17, 2017

I am facing the same problem , 2 Different project - with unique issues have a common sprint. Any changes made via Project 1 impacts the sprint for Project 2 and visa versa.

Upon initial analysis - 

1. There are no common issues/Epics between the projects.

2. I have 10 diff projects but the issue observed only between 2 projects.

3. I have tried mutiple combinations but am unbale to decouple the 2 projects.

1 vote
scherbank October 3, 2017

The belonging to sprint is just a value in every issue. Once you set the filter of your board to show same issue in few boards you will see the sprin t too. Sprint is manageable from each and every board where it shows.

I guess this is more filtering issue.

Keith Horlock January 8, 2018

I think it's pretty bogus of Atlassian to not allow sprints to be applied across multiple boards within a distinct project. That means if I have 2 teams within a project, I have to create 2 completedl separate sprints for each team (board). And then to force people to buy an additional add on, in addition to what we're already paying atlassian for licenses, is really bogus.

Mike Solomon January 8, 2018

@Keith Horlock I've seen this set this up in my cloud instance...

1 Project
1 Board for Team A
1 Board for Team B

1 Board containing both teams

The board that contains both teams is is where the Sprint is created and planned. The board for Team A will only show issues that are assigned to Team A in the current Sprint. The board for Team B will only show issues that are assigned to Team B in the current Sprint. No add-on necessary.

Personally, this isn't how my team is setup but I've seen it done.

I strongly believe that what you have written is true but is does not represent all cases possible to have that situation. There is a case where this is a bug to me.

In my case (unsolved) is like this:
One project
  - Board A
    - Sprint c
    - Sprint z
  - Board B
    - Sprint d

I had a sprint c in my backlog for months. Suddenly after creating a sprint d, the two sprints (c and d) started sharing name and status. It resulted in taking on the sprint d name for both sprints. Whenever I changed the sprints name from Board A perspective it also changed the name of the sprint from Board B perspective.

Tasks visible from Board A in the sprint were not visible in Board B and vice versa.

I had to move my issues in Board A to a completely new sprint.

However.... the Board A had already Sprint z active. The Sprint d was also active.
This resulted in Board A having two sprints active! This results in jira disabling "Complete sprint" button in my just finishing "sprint z".
We are like... doomed. I see no other option than to change product or go to (back) paper.

1 vote
Enmanuel Corvo August 27, 2017

This used to be an issues for us all the time. We have multiple teams working on one project but each team having a unique board. As we start putting issues into sprints it becomes messy keeping track of it in multiple boards, having the wrong sprint sometimes show up in the wrong place. We finally solved it by using an addon to group multiple boatds into a single view, grouping each board issues into sprints that are shared accross all of them. So even thougth the sprints show up in all teh boards the issues are unique for each boards and since you are looking at all of them at the same time in one view it makes it easier to follow along as oposed to switcghing between multiple boards/vierws. https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/early-bird-planner-prod/cloud/overview

1 vote
Mike Solomon June 22, 2017

If you move an issue from Project A to Project B, the issue will retain it's old Sprint value.

Therefore, the board of Project B will now have an issue that belongs to a sprint in Project A.

Use your board's Velocity Chart to detect Sprints that don't seem to be reporting correctly. They usually contain issues that were moved. Bulk change those issues to remove the bad Sprint value and it should be good to go.

1 vote
Sanzhar Aubakirov March 5, 2017

We have the same problem

Liz_Pat January 7, 2019

We also have same problem. But I want to create sprints once and share them across all Boards in the project. 

1 vote
Vikas Chhatwal September 26, 2016

I have a similar problem, and I dont know how did it manifest in the first place. I have a sprint I created in a project, which has its own board. Now the sprint shows up in different projects and boards. It has the same unique ID associated with the sprint. If I make change to the sprint name, in one board, it reflects in other boards too. I need to have unique sprint names, in all projects. Can somebody please explain why is this happening?

Jason Cagle May 25, 2018

Is there a resolution to this? I am new to this company and it appears that all projects are under the same sprint. If I change, for example, the end date of the sprint...all projects sprint end dates change. I would like to allow one or more projects to be on a different sprint cadence. Any ideas?

Mike Solomon May 25, 2018

@Jason Cagle sprints belong to boards. from what you described, there must be a jira board somewhere that is pulling issues from your project into their sprint.

here is some guidance:

1. find the board that is pulling in your issues and putting them into a sprint. you can do this by clicking on the sprint that your issue belongs to in the "Agile" section of your issue screen (https://cl.ly/1n0P210U0g47)
  2. talk to whatever team owns that board and ask if the filter can be updated to exclude your team's issues

its possible that your company wants everyone on the same sprint cadence and is doing this purposefully (although, there are other ways to achieve this)

Jason Cagle May 25, 2018

@Mike Solomon I may be misunderstanding your response, but I don't think it's the issue I am having. I'm having an issue that, if I go into my backlog and Edit the current sprint and change the end date, this changes the end date of all projects because, it appears, that all projects are under that same sprint. So, it seems to me that I need to basically create a new sprint and move my project under that new sprint...and that's the only project under that.

Or, maybe I'm misunderstanding your response above??

@Jason Cagle 

if I go into my backlog and Edit the current sprint and change the end date, this changes the end date of all projects

Right, let me clarify... sprints originate from a single board (the board they are created on) but can appear in more than one place.

Let's say there's Board A... it pulls issues from multiple projects. Someone creates a sprint on Board A with a bunch of issues from multiple projects in the sprint.

Then there's Board B... your board. It only pulls issues from your project. Board B will include the sprint that was created on Board A because some of the issues in that sprint show up on both boards. If you modify the sprint's attributes on Board B, it will be reflected on Board A (and where ever else the sprint appears).

A way around this is to make sure that Board A isn't including your issues in the sprints that they create.

Let me know if that helps 

Like DNIssueCollector likes this
Jason Cagle May 25, 2018

@Mike Solomon Thanks, Mike. I think that makes sense. Let me dig into that a bit...

here is a visual of me changing a board to include issues from another project -- it shows the board pulling multiple sprints along with it

https://cl.ly/3x0H0u1p171G

Like # people like this
Jason Cagle May 25, 2018

@Mike Solomon Ah ha...I got it now! Thanks, that visual did it for me. I'll look into that...

Praveenraj Selvarangan January 27, 2020

@mikesolomon- We have Board A and Board B .

1. If we change the sprint name, sprint deatils etc in Board A it get reflected in Board B 

2. We have 2 different story in Both Boards

Can you please help to resolve this 

I saw your video https://cl.ly/3x0H0u1p171G this explain about separating stories in both board. Or do i miss something in that ?

TIA

0 votes
Lee Calladine October 25, 2018

OK so we were getting the same sharing of a Sprint across multiple boards and figured that this was all down to the issues and the values that were being stored in the SPRINT field.

Please ensure that when you complete a sprint, that the items you moved to the next sprint or back to the Backlog have the Sprint field values updated to show the new sprint or backlog location. JIRA by default simply adds the next value to the Sprint field instead of replacing it with the new value.

I found that ensuring that issues contain only a single value, solves the Board and Sprint merging issue fine.

Suggest an answer