Sprints falling out of Epic burndown report

Dennis Liljedahl May 12, 2021

Hi, I have an epic with about ten Stories. It will probably take something like 5-10 sprints to finish all the stories in the Epic, so I want to use the Epic burndown to get help with estimating when we will be done.

Last week we had finished three sprints, so we got the first estimate on when the Epic would be done. But when I revisit the Epic burndown today it says that we only have finished one sprint, and the issues that previously was in the first two sprints we had finished are now listed under the headline "Before initial sprint". What happend?

The only change I think has been done is that some issues was released since the last time I looked at the Epic burndown, but I don't see how that could affect it.

Also I'm wondering how an issue can even end up under the "Before initial sprint" headline as the initial sprint:

• The first sprint shown is the one that contains the first issue (in the epic) that transitions out of the 'To Do' status, i.e. work is started on the epic.

So how is it even possible for issues to end up before the initial sprint. I mean if the initial sprint is when the first issue is moved out of the To do status then an issue shouldn't be able to end up before the initial sprint?

Also it's kinda odd that the graph shows for the first bar "Original estimate at the start of Epic" that 10 points have already been completed.

Anyone has any ideas or insights?

Epic 1.PNGEpic 2.PNG

0 answers

Suggest an answer