Sprint stretch target and burn down

Shane Murarenko February 10, 2015

Hi there

We have just finished sprint planning and the team has committed to 30 points with a stretch target of 8 points (total 38 points).

Question: should we bring the stretch stories into the current sprint or leave them in the backlog as we don't want the stretch target to impact our burn down chart.

Thanks

Shane

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2015

If you don't want them in your burndown, then you should leave them in your backlog. Possibly create a temporary sprint called Stretch which will house this kind of issues during every active sprint. This will also give you the added benefit of showing a scope creep if your employees did manage to outperform their estimation. 

Shane Murarenko February 10, 2015

Awesome - makes sense - thanks Boris.

Shane Murarenko February 11, 2015

Hi Boris - one further question - I have moved those stories out of the current sprint but this has affected my metrics (ie sprint burn down chart). I have already activated the start of the sprint which shows the total points being the committed AND stretch points - is there any way for me (i have admin access) to reset the current sprint so our burndown chart doesn't reflect the stretch stories?

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2015

No, you can not. Just remember to do this prior to starting the sprint in the future.

Shane Murarenko February 11, 2015

Ok, thanks.

Suggest an answer