Sprint per Project -JQL filter

shiri_naftali September 26, 2017

we define sprint X to project Y

and sprint Z to project M

But we sometimes have issues from project M that need to be handled in sprint X

I need to define a filter that includes all the issues that are defined as sprint X, from both of the projects (M+Y)

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2017

Sprints do not belong to projects, they belong to boards.

You therefore need a way to include issues from other places.  You could do "project in (Y, M)", but that will get everything in both projects. 

The most simple option is a bit of a cheat.  On the board sprint X belongs to, change the board filter fro "Project = Y" to "Project = Y or label = include_in_project_Y".

Then add the label to any issues you want to see in the board sprint X belongs to.

dmoron June 26, 2021

This is a very risky approach. Missing a label means work could get lost.

Could you get sprints in board then? It doesn't seem the case though? on this other post it says sprints are global, not tied project/boards? Which one is it? 

Source 

Seems like all solutions would require a lot of manual work that is very prone to error.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2021

Indeed it is a risky approach, but "arbitrary flag to include something" is the only way to deal with the original questioner's case.

The main point of "sprints belong to boards" is that they are not project artefacts.   The board association is more loose, but that's where you create them, and if you kill a board, you lose the sprints because there's no way to report on them any more.

dmoron July 28, 2021

What's the reasoning of not tying Sprints to 'something'?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2021

I do not understand the question.

Or rather, I can not quite grasp what you are really asking about.  Maybe ask the opposite question - "what's the reasoning in allowing sprints to include things?" - the answer to that is "a sprint should contain whatever the team needs to look at".

dmoron July 29, 2021

"Something" in my question means cross referencing sprints with boards, projects or some sort of grouping. Let me know if that helps understand the question better. The reason for having something like this would be so we would be able to gather all sprints we've done for a project for example without having to use a 'risky' approach.

Suggest an answer