Sprint in Two Boards - One is Empty, Cannot Close

Matthew Frassetti September 7, 2017

Hey all,

Currently, I have a sprint that is active in two boards. The sprint is EMPTY in Board A but is filled with issues in Board B. Board A cannot start an active sprint. The filters for both boards show completely different issues and there doesn't seem to be any overlap at all. Stranger yet, cloning Board A fixes the issue completely which doesn't make a lot of sense since it is a straight replica of the same board with the same filter. 

We'd like to figure out what is causing the issue without cloning the board as that causes a lot of problems for the team. Any insight?

Thanks,

Matthew

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 8, 2017

This tends to happen when you have an active sprint with issues in Board A, Sprint A, in Project A, and if you happen to move one of these issues in this sprint from project A into project B, you will notice that suddenly this sprint A will appear in board B.

This behavior tends to catch a number of users by surprise, but there is actually a logical reason for this happening.  This entire situation is better explained in the KB The same sprint is displayed across different scrum boards after moving an issue

Basically what happens is because this issue was in the sprint, but now exists in a new project that sprint needs to appear on other boards.  The KB explains that the way to avoid this is to first clear the sprint field for that issue before you move it.

Figuring out exactly which issue was moved to cause this can sometimes be hard to figure out.   I would recommend trying to go to the issue navigator and run a JQL query such as

sprint = "sprint name" and project != A

This should be able to show all the issues in that sprint that are not in project A.

If you don't find any results, then it's possible that the issue has since been deleted, moved from project B, or since had it's sprint field cleared.   I think you might be seeing this since creating another board does not recreate this same sprint appearing there.

robbash September 12, 2017

Had the same issue, closed sprint and created 2 new ones.

Still, I had to dig a bit deeper to find a solution for the situation wenn ich cannot find issues with the filter JQL mentioned above: I can list the sprints per board with this SQL in the database.

select "ID","NAME" from "AO_60DB71_SPRINT" where "RAPID_VIEW_ID" IN (select "ID" from "AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW" where "NAME" like '%boardname%');

As I already solved my issue by creating new sprints, I couldn't try whether it works.

Could an Atlassian Team member approve/disapprove this?

Thanks

Rob

Suggest an answer